Absolutely unbelievable....

I am so sorry I have bothered you guys for a discussion.....I guess I should have not returned....now I know exactly where this country is headed. I thank you for patronizing me with your presense.

Heck Paul, happens to me all the time, so stick around, I need the company. Its a shame that threads can become controversial when there's no need for it, just makes headaches for the mod's.

If nothing else I got a chuckle out of the dead horse, never seen that one before- the couple other forums I frequent don't have all the bells and whistles.

Gotta run, going to town for a bunch of fiddly bits to install before the great drywalling saga begins.

John

well i dont know the score???

but it sure is similar to a hockey game. a batch of folk have difernt opinions and some get flared up and then the fight begins, and then there are some that throw out just enough to stir the pot. i am sure that all of you are going to put me in this game somewhere and thats fine, but we really shouldnt be taking some of this so darn serious as to push off other members, that wasnt what this was set up to do.. or am i mistaken. and so its someone else's turn at picking the next victim. i fully agreed with S.Clardy but just need to vent first.

Paul

You're an interesting guy and an accomplished woodworker. So what is everyone doesn't agee with you? I think this thread was (is) civil.

Heck, if I said that I won't be friends with anyone who doesn't agree with me, I would only be talking with my wife -- come to think of it, she doesn't agree with me all the time either! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Jay

Last edited:
I am so sorry I have bothered you guys for a discussion.....I guess I should have not returned....now I know exactly where this country is headed. I thank you for patronizing me with your presense.

Paul,

I have enjoyed this thread.

I understand where you are coming from. I also understand the other side. I am very glad there are people that can afford to buy from the companies you have mentioned and keep them in business. By all accounts they make fantastic products and treat their customers right.

I am also glad there are companies that are able to provide functional equipment at a low price. If the low cost options weren't available, there would be a large number of us who would not be able to set up a decent shop and enjoy doing the work that is being posted here.

Companies have been copying each other for many years. Let's face it though, Grizzly isn't putting out anything new. Their designs are copies of products that have been around for more than 50 years! They are not, and likely never will, be in the same league with MM.

Don't go away mad! I still enjoy your posts!:wave:

spoken like a true union sheepl. if this countries union work force would have opened their eyes and closed their hands a little more the US and would still have many of the manufacturing plants that have gone overseas. I've been a union member for 30 years and am disgusted at the work ethic of many of my fellow union members. I'm sure I'll get beat up on this but I'm just stateing what I have observed. That same "oh well" attitude you mentioned has helped put this countries working class in a bad place. 8 hours work for 8 hours pay!!!!!

Randy,
I too am a union member and am disheartened by much of what I see. Believe me when I say I could go on for hours about what I don't like about them. I think it a mistake to blame the unions alone for our jobs being sent elswhere. The higher wages and benefits packages may be a contributing factor but I feel that the uncertainty of where the next multi million dollar fine levied by a government agency for whatever is coming from the next multi million dollar verdict for whatever and all of the costs of insuring against such things are also contributing factors. Here there are just too many variables that can lay waste to a companies structure in a matter of months. It has got to be a scary proposition to get a venture off of the ground here in the US. Hard work and smarts aren't necessarily all you need anymore.

I used to be a union member before moving into management.

I worked for the local telephone company and I remember a utility locator that had bid on a new job and was going to start it the following Monday. That Friday, he was assigned to go locate some cable, signed off that he did, and the Gas company cut a 4000 pair cable. When the supervisor went out and checked it, the guy had not marked any cable anywhere. He pursued terminating the guy for falsifying records and for basically not doing the job that he signed off on doing. The local had a fit and tried to stop it. The supervisor wouldn't back down and he was finally terminated, but I know there are a lot of supervisors that just don't want to go through the pain and the hassle. Unions are good in ways, but in other ways they protect people that aren't doing the job.

Getting back on topic.

Paul, since you are passionate about Grizzly cloning MM equipment.

A question for you.....

Which company invented the sliding table saw, the combo j/P, the 5 in 1 combo machine or anyother contemporary euro machine anyway.

Was it MM, Centauro, SCMI, Metabo or any affiliate. Was is someother Euro co, or was it a good old "made in America" engineering, production, manufacturing, and marketing?

I don't know the answers, but would certainly appreciate knowing. I love woodworking tools and learning the history of tools is part of the fun. Can you help?

Sincerely;
Joe

P.S. If MM and co, didn't invent these machines, then are they no better or worse than Grizzly?

Wilhelm Altendorf (German) invented the first sliding table saw in 1906. SInce then Altendorf has manufactured only saws and thou they have a none slider the bulk of the production is sliders. Tough to argue with over 100 years of improving a great idea. There is some history and a picture of the first saw somewhere on their website if you're interested.

Dunno who is credited with inventing the rest you mention but they were not invented in the USA.