Friday 3-30 Edition

Friday again, (it's like it happens every 7 days, I can't figure it out.:D)

So what's going on in your neighborhood?

Myself, need to put rear brakes on the Tahoe, front brakes on the truck, yard work, home work. Oh, Larry is stopping by sometime, I about forgot.

Birthday party for my BIL tonight. Tomorrow brings yardwork and shop time then some BBQ and watch the Final Four. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!

Sunday more shop time and softball practice for the daughter.

I gotta leave shortly and go to philly for some party. Id rather be home in my dusty garage, but if I dont go I could end up a single man. Uh, wait a minute, maybe I should rethink my weekend. hmmmmmm?

Saturday some more work on the shop expansion, some work on a curlie maple bathroom vanity for my son and DIL and I believe a bonfire and smoked brisket, maybe, in the evening at my sons and DIL's house:) Sunday more of the same with some rest incorporated.

Well, mowing either tonight or tomorrow (maybe both), then have a bunch of leaves to clear out of beds around the pool. Also working on the CNC trying out new software to convert files for it. I'm planning to build another motorcycle rocker for a friend's daughter and a couple to sell, so may get some of those parts milled out.

I can't shoot firearms in my little neighborhood and the range is about 40 minutes away, so I've ordered two bb pistols for target practice. I've been using a cardboard box with folded up plastic sheeting inside as a trap, but planning to upgrade from the cardboard box to something a little more permanent in the back of the shop as a bb trap.

I should have this one today, it's about the size of my Ruger, so will be good for quick draw practice: http://www.airgundepot.com/smith-and-wesson-m-and-p-40-black-177-co2-bb-pistol.html

This one won't be here til next week and is close to the size of one of my other regular carry guns. Reviews have been good and looks to be like the real thing (other than the kick, which I've heard they simulated pretty well too): http://www.airgundepot.com/refurbished-walther-airguns-cp99-compact-co2-bb-gun-177-caliber.html

Finish up some kitchen painting along with replacing a section of under-layment beneath the frig{dang leaking self defrost}, possibly start on a small microwave cart/storage unit.
Too nasty outside for enjoyable yard work. Aslo plan on a trip to the borg for some compost, manure etc. for the garden area. Need to make some room in the shed, for the log splitter a friend of mine is going to leave here till later this fall...oh yeah, hang up the maul for a season lol.

Mow......spread grass seed.....fertilize.

Mill the edges of the top for the entertainment center I'm building, mount the top and begin the sanding and finishing process.

Not really woodworking, but sometime this weekend I plan to finish some set-up work I've been doing on a friend's guitar. It's a Fender Stratacoustic...cool guitar, but when I got it, it played like a $5.00 flea market junker. It'll be easier to play when I get done with it.

Also have a birthday party to go to Saturday, and if the weather holds up, I may try to make it to the outdoor shooting range Sunday. I've been visiting the indoor range pretty regularly, but I'd like to get outdoors where I can shoot at some longer distances.

...I should have this one today, it's about the size of my Ruger, so will be good for quick draw practice: http://www.airgundepot.com/smith-and-wesson-m-and-p-40-black-177-co2-bb-pistol.html...

Ooh...that's cool. I have the compact version of the real thing, but the BB model would be a lot of fun. I see they also have a SIG P226 replica, too. That's another one of my favorites.

I'm finally gonna put that walnut to use Larry brought me last year. I finalized the layout for the Queen size bed I've been promising Norma and have the post glued up for the foot board and in the vacuum bag as I type this.

I plan on having a big day tomorrow because tomorrow I plan on telling my employer to take a hike and I'm going in to clear out my locker and take home all my tools. You see, after winning the Mega Millions Lotto tonight I will be on easy street and have no need to work my day job any longer. As soon as I get home from doing that I'm headed out to shop for some new tools and maybe a new truck to haul them in. I'll probably have to start working up the new plans for a bigger shop tomorrow night. I'll need to get that done in time for all the new machines. Other than that.....I'll just sit and watch a little TV.

Saturday AM will be occupied by a Charity Spin for the Hereditary Neuropathy Foundation. I'm not spinning due to recent back issues - but I'm there for moral support.

There's a automotive swap meet and flea market in town on Sunday that we will wander through. They usually have hand tools - even some of the woodworking variety.

Between all this I hope to do some yard work at the weather here in the Northeast is above average for this time of year.

I should drill out the blanks and glue up the tubes for a gift for myself - a matching set of Penn State Gatsby click Pen and Pencil's.

Cheers

Jim Mattheiss

Pickup truck full of walnut. No pictures yet, it was positively dumping rain the whole time and I got back after dark, although getting a picture of the temporary "bridge" we built to get to it would have been worth something :eek: Amazing what you can do with three 16' 2x4's and some plywood scrap... hehe. Kept us out of the waist deep roaring creek anyway.

Log turned out to be only 12" across at the widest so I have a 12" dia by 5.5' chunk, a 10" dia by 5' chunk and a bunch of smaller pieces. The smaller pieces aren't a problem but the bigger chunks will be .. interesting .. to slab off on the BS (heaviest I've worked with by a bit). There is still the larger part of the tree left standing, figure next winter :D The big part of that sucker will be a challenge for sure.

I have a couple of days off next week so I'm hoping to get the drum sander setup and the walnut taken care of. Maybe get a little work done on the swifts...

Tomorrow we're up to 8.5 miles on the walking program.. I'm sure it'll be fine, nooo problem here :rofl: I can't admit it if its painful anyway, ruins my role as the motivator :D.

Plans are up in the air. We were going to Boston but plans may have changed.
If my SIL comes over this morning we will go and get the ash lumber for the desk I'm going to make him. I still can't lift anything.:(

May have to take a ride to Rockler to check out some of their specials. i need more hose for my DC.

My niece's wedding yesterday , Mom and Dad were able to make it and in great spirits. Movie with Jake , "Clash of the Titian's" Gilding a ornate chair today and Sunday I got a commission to paint the owner of the tow turcks company next door riding his chopper on a mountain road next to a mountain river. So Him and I will head to the mountains and get pictures.

The start of an eventful weekend

Well i am late with this post since it began yesterday and i kicked off my weekend playing hookey again and sneaking out to another Hand Tool event. Thats it for this year but since they only come around once a year i was not going to let work get in the way.

Yesterday i attended the Lie Nielsen Hand Tool event being held at the old Century Mill Lumber Yard on Stoufville Road not too far from my home. Its my go to place for any real lumber i can ever want. More on that in another post. ;)

I will also share my views on my experiece at the show which had me feeling like i had died and gone to woodworkers heaven.

I came home and told LOML that i have not had such a magnificent day in absolutely years or at least since Larry was last around here. :D (hey Mr. Amabassador if you read this you gotta get up here to see some wood this summer);)

So that was Friday.

Today i plan shop time since we are having a taste of being emptynesters my oldest son is out away from home in Montreal on work (hooray) and my youngest is at a football camp at Queens University preparing to hopefully become a Gael and play football for Queens next year. I am so proud of him taking off for the weekend on his own in his Honda and driving 3 hours to go to a camp for the weekend its like watching a little bird take first flight. (not his first trip away by any means but its the early beginnings of a great new chapter for him and i am loving watching the development.) He has been recruited but now needs to meet the academic requirements to attend. So far i aint worried with grades like 90 plus in Calculus he is doing way way better than i ever did in this subject so we should have the makings of an engineer after all. :D)

The downer to my weekend is going to be dealing with the unpleasant part of having the Police come over again and sort out the NN. I have initiated taking action that is now going to end this harrassment once and for all. Its the most unpleasant thing i have had to do in a decade but its neccessary. For those of you that have lived with freedom you will appreciate that having rights and freedom means you need to be prepared to stand up and defend it. I have in the past served my former country in the military despite not agreeing to the government of the days politics and now i will defend the rights and laws provided in my new country. This time there will be no guns involved though. Hopefully the battle ends today without unneccessary further progression up the legal chain but if not well we going all the way this time. I have been to the town and consulted both them and the police on security cameras and that will be one of the future tools i employ to end this perpetual bombardment of abuse. As the police said " I have the right to enjoy my property peacfully". I will say this its a day and night experience dealing with the police services in Canada. I could write an essay on the comparison between them and what i have experienced in my past where i came from. Its very obvious the difference the words Police Force and Police Services make in how the role is executed. I could not believe being given a "Victim Information Pamphlet" and if you saw the contents well its utterly amazing but exactly what you would expect and more from a civil society. Nuff said.

Depending on when this goes down I will be in the shop playing with my new sign making toy. ;) Will soon do a review of this gadget and what it has led to. :rofl:

Sunday i hope to be able to get started on my security cameras if neccessary or hopefully be able to just play peacefully in the shop. Here is wishing the latter is all thats neccessary but somehow given past experience i dont think so.

Our weather turned back to winter this past week we woke up with light dusting of snow which will be gone shortly but the temp is back down at 37.5 degrees prett warm for Canadians. :D

Enjoy your weekend all and if you live in the GTA and read this post get on up to Century Mill and check out the hand tools. There is a great teacher on hand by the way of Jeremy also an ex South African from Vancouver doing the show and tell thing and he certainly has a great deal of wisdom to pass on in relation to these tools. If you do take a moment to speak to Conrad from Sauer and Steiner you will totally enjoy yourself. (more on that in another post).:thumb: