Thread: dowels and outdoor bench

dowels and outdoor bench

Just wondering if dowels are a good choice for building a out door bench. There will be a top and bottom rail on the back rest with vertical rails running the length of the bench. The dowels will attach the verticals to the horizontal. Thanks

Dowels would probably work, depending on their size, but I'd use mortise and tenon joinery, and peg them for added strength.
    Jim D.
    Adapt...Improvise...Overcome!

It seems to me that the whole premise of "Political Correctness," however well-intentioned it may be, runs the danger of uniform mediocrity becoming the norm.

Sounds like it would work just fine.
    So mote it be,

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Sam Maloof once said that screws are tapered dowels made of steel.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Well, I've always thought I'd be able to make a good outdoor bench, and I've been know to be attached to the horizontal plane at times....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash