Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Queen size walnut bed build

Queen size walnut bed build

Well I got the drawing finalized for the bed I'm going to build for My LOML out of the walnut that Larry brought me last year on his 2011 Tour De Wood. I like to make full size drawings so I laid it out on a piece of 1/4" ply.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001 (800 x 600).jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	66280

This bed will test me a little as I will need to do some bent lamination's for the tops of the head board and foot board. The plan has totally changed from what I sent to Larry to figure out what I need in the way of material from him. I actually need 6/4 to get the look I want so I'll need to do some re sawing and laminating of the stiles and rails for the foot board to get the thickness I need. The panels will be birds eye maple veneer on 1/2" mdf.

I got started last night on the post for the head board and foot board. In the original plan I was going to use a lock miter bit to join the 4 pieces of walnut into a post but that won't work now do to the design of the post now. I ended up using my vacum bag to glue and clamp the 4 pieces of 7/8" thick walnut for each post.

I spread the glue with a foam roller.

Name:	005 (800 x 600).jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	66281

Then it goes into the bag.

Name:	006 (800 x 600).jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	66282

Here it is with the bag sealed and vacuum applied. The next post is milled and ready for glue up. I have clamps on it just to keep the pieces in order.

Name:	002 (800 x 600).jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	66283

Here it is an hour later out of the bag.

Name:	004 (800 x 600).jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	66284

And after a pass on the jointer.

Name:	003 (800 x 600).jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	66285

I have to take a break on this project as I need to replace the head gasket and right front CV joint on my sons car and the center link on my wife's GMC Jimmy.

I really like your design. I'm looking forward to your build.
    So mote it be,

Good looking design, Alan. I look forward to following your build.

I'd like to say one thing about your comment about the bentwood lamination for the top of your headboard and foot board. I've done many forms of bentwood lamination over the years and love using my vacuum press system. However, when I built the headboard for the king size platform bed for our master bedroom, I deviated from that process. Since I had a solid curved piece for the width of the headboard as the field, I clamped the re-sawn strips to the edge of the solid wood rather than build a seperate form. In my case, I was creating a bullnose of a walnut on top of a cherry field, so I didn't have to deal with an overhang. By doing it the way I did, there was also no question the walnut was going to be tight to the cherry.
    Bill Arnold - Website - ShopCam
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    Ignorance is only skin deep, but stupid goes all the way to the marrow!
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

when I grow up, I hope I can design and make furniture as well as you.
    Human Test Dummy

I snuck in some wood working time today between car repairs. I decided to try and resaw a 7-1/4" board on my grizzly G0555 band saw to see how it does since I got the band saw blade drift corrected. I don't have a riser for it so I neede to remove the upper guide assembly and grind away part of the upper door.

I made a 6" tall wooden fence that I aligned with the stock fence and then clamped it in place. I double checked it with the miter slot to make sure it was parallel. The fence stops just short of the blade to allow the wood to move in what ever direction it wants to once it has passed the blade.

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	66314Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	66315Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	66316Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	66317

This is what they look like after I ran them thru my planer. The last picture shows tha only spot I couldn't remove the re-saw marks but thats alright cause I'll put that towards the sub straight I'm going to glue these pieces too.

Name:	005.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	66318Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	66319

looking good alan and i bet norma is gettun anxious
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

what size blade did you use and how many teeth per inch.(looks like 1/2 or 3/4 inch blade)
    Im always trying to pick up bandsaw tips.
    Human Test Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    what size blade did you use and how many teeth per inch.(looks like 1/2 or 3/4 inch blade)
    Im always trying to pick up bandsaw tips.
    It's a Carter Accurite 1/2" 3 teeth per inch blade. It has a little use on it.

If you look close though Allen you'll notice I removed the upper guides to gain the clearance I need to be able to resaw this piece.

Ever since I got rid of the drift problem on my bandsaw it's been a joy to use.

I also no longer need to worry about in feed and out feed support since I lowered my band saw so the table is the same height as my table saw.

Well I got a little more work in last night and this evening. I started my mdf pattern last night but had to stop due to my son breaking down on the way to work.

I got the pattern pretty much finished except for the two radius cuts on each end that go next to the post.

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	66554
    From that I was able to trace it out on the walnut so I could get the pieces to add on to make the width I needed.

Name:	002.JPG 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	66555Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	66556Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.JPG 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	66557Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	66558
    From there I cut my plywood that I'm using in the middle to increase the thickness of the pieces and glued them up and put them in the vacuum press. Now I'll let them sit for a few days to cure before I start shaping them and cutting to size to start my joinery.

Name:	006.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	66561Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	66562Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	66563

Looking good, Alan!
    Bill Arnold - Website - ShopCam
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    Ignorance is only skin deep, but stupid goes all the way to the marrow!
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.