Queen size walnut bed build

I did it free hand with a trim router and a straight bit. I assembled the frame and of course left out the center mullion. I already had the tenon cut on the bottom of the center mullion so I set the shoulder on top of the bottom rail, lined up the top of the mullion with my marks on the curved top rail and scored it with a blade from a razor knife. Then I moved the mullion to the other side of the frame and repeated. I then took it to the tablesaw to cut what I could of the tenon. After that I clamped it to my work bench and with a bright light I proceeded to trim to the score line with my router.

well that worked great for you alan,, now after i asked i thought that possibly one could trim the tenon by using a pattern bit off the top rail with the mullion being underneath it clamped in place,, me and free hand doesnt always get along:)

Well I've been kind of busy with other things and this is all the further I got on the bed. I got the panels glued up in the vaccum press and cut to size. I used 2 layers of 1/4" play to get the thickness I needed.
020 (800 x 601).jpg
While they were curing I made the moulding for the tops of the post. The fun part will be cutting the miters on these pieces as they will only be about 3-1/2" long.
016 (800 x 601).jpg017 (800 x 601).jpg
Once I got the frame and panels glued up I proceeded to cut the mortise and tenons on the post and panel. I made a jig that slid on the end of the panel that allowed me to use my router to cut both side of the tenon and have them line up all in one setup.
021 (800 x 601).jpg015 (601 x 800).jpg014 (601 x 800).jpg
And the foot board with the legs attached but not glued on yet.
013 (800 x 601).jpg
To be continued.....

Looking real good Alan, but now i see the legs in place is that going to be a low bed?

I like my bed so when i sit down on the edge i dont either have my feet dangling or my knees up in the air.

Am i missing something or is it just my sense of scale to the legs?:dunno:

Looking real good Alan, but now i see the legs in place is that going to be a low bed?

I like my bed so when i sit down on the edge i dont either have my feet dangling or my knees up in the air.

Am i missing something or is it just my sense of scale to the legs?:dunno:

This is just the foot board. I have yet to do the headboard as I wanted to work out a few things first.

The space at the bottom in the normal space under a box spring and mattress. Instead of a box spring I'm going to have drawers in it,s place and then the mattress on top. The foot board will be extend past the top of the mattress.

Don't know if that's a Michigan saying or what but it's just a scrap piece of 3/4" mdf with Wenge veneer on it that I cut up for the jig

nope not a michigan saying.. it looks like a small knife used to cut paper in trimmer machine the bevel appeared to be there and the thickness and size is just right:) just my head was in the dark ages i guess:)

Well I finally got back to work on the bed. I think I'm sold on this loose tenon joinery especially since I made the that new jig I posted here.http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?27923-Shop-made-router-mortising-jig&highlight=

I didn't use loose tenons to attach the legs on the ends of the head board as I didn't want to compromise the loose tenons that were used to assemble the frame of the head board.
005 (800 x 601).jpg006 (800 x 601).jpg007 (800 x 601).jpg008 (601 x 800).jpg

Once that was complete I had some areas that needed to be veneered. I came up with what I thought was a simple solution that only required one clamp. I cut a form from some scrap wood that was about 3/8" smaller than what I needed and made up the difference with some pink foam insulation that I cut to shape on my band saw
015 (800 x 601).jpg014 (800 x 601).jpg012 (800 x 601).jpg002 (800 x 601).jpg

Here are a few more shots of the head board and foot board together. I still need to make the caps for the 4 corner post and also the trim piece for the tops of the foot board and head board.
001 (800 x 601).jpg011 (800 x 601).jpg003 (800 x 601).jpg009 (800 x 601).jpg

Last edited:
you sure paid attention to your dad in your younger years and the other cab jobs after that alan ,, well done and one can always learn something from your posts..:)

Here is what I use Allen.
825575_400.jpg

you sure paid attention to your dad in your younger years and the other cab jobs after that alan ,, well done and one can always learn something from your posts..:)

I sure wish I could make it to the gathering but it's not meant to be. I find it easier to communicate in person than over the internet like this. It seems to impersonal at times. I got so many things on my mind that I don't know if the amount of days you have set for the gathering would be enough!