Queen size walnut bed build

This is really coming along beautifully Alan. I have learned many things watching the techniques that you use. Early on (post #20, pics 3 and 4) there was a top-down shot of the walnut laminated to the ply. The ply appears to have been kerfed at an interval. This serves as a sort of shock absorber for the walnut's movement, yes?

This is really coming along beautifully Alan. I have learned many things watching the techniques that you use. Early on (post #20, pics 3 and 4) there was a top-down shot of the walnut laminated to the ply. The ply appears to have been kerfed at an interval. This serves as a sort of shock absorber for the walnut's movement, yes?

Actually those kerfs were cut so the plywood would lay flat. I didn't want to have to go spend more money on this project and used what I had on hand.

Alan i truly admire your work. I am sure old master craftsman would too. You get on and make things without all the fuss and make what you have do the job. Wish i could. Your use of material is excellent.

I definitely will not be showing these pics to Linda. Absolutely not. And when i get to Texas someday to visit, no tours of your woodworking please. :)

Looking forward to seeing more of this bed build. I like the design a great deal.

Thanks Rob! I'm still learning as I do this bed. I like to think outside the box sometimes as there is more than one way to build so called "fine" furniture.

I worked on some finish samples these past couple days. I ended up with watco medium walnut danish oil for the walnut and a top coat of poly and just poly on the birds eye.
I tried straight poly on the walnut but the color isn't as deep and consistent as when I applied the watco danish oil to the test piece. By consistent I mean the one with the straight poly ended up looking like it had sapwood in it.
001 (800 x 601).jpg002 (800 x 601).jpg004 (800 x 601).jpg005 (800 x 601).jpg

Well here's one more update as I spent the weekend sanding and staining. I used Watco danish oil medium walnut. Today I sprayed the first coat of poly. All I have to say is WOW!!!! These pictures just don't do it any justice. I really need to learn a little about taking pictures or find some one that can.
001 (800 x 601).jpg002 (800 x 601).jpg003 (601 x 800).jpg004 (800 x 601).jpg005 (800 x 601).jpg006 (800 x 601).jpg007 (800 x 601).jpg

what always impresses me with anything you build alan, is that you dont need to prove anything about how great a craftsman you are, dont need to use hand tools or fancy schmancy tools to prove you have talent,dont over complicate anything. etc.
You combine exceptional skill, with tons of common sense,(your understanding of how to get to an end point is so impressive, yet you make it seem so simple) and it doesnt hurt you have a keen eye for beautiful product.

I hope one day I can produce something close to the projects you turn out.

Im sure N loves that bed.

thanx loads for sharing it.

Thanks everyone.
When I did the sample piece that came from the panels in the bed I thought ok that's gonna look good but when that poly hit the actual panels in the bed its almost like I had used a completely different piece of veneer hence my reaction.

This bed has changed so much from the original design that I showed to Larry when I got the walnut off of him. I decided I wanted to expand my skills and test myself.

Some of the techniques I utilized were because I needed to use what I had on hand and getting that awesome deal on all of that wood on wood veneer didn't hurt either.

As for Allen hoping he can build something close to what I just built I honestly believe he can do it.

Almost forgot to post a pic of the bed setup. Still need to make the drawers and veneer the drawer fronts but we are sleeping SO much better now. I'm still trying to decide which way I want the birdseye to run on the drawer fronts?
002.jpg