Back home and a Gloat!

Bill Arnold

Staff member
LOML and I got back home this afternoon from a quick visit to check on her mother near Birmingham, AL. Her mom is a fantastic person - her mom's husband...well, it depends on which end of the horse decides to show up! Overall, it was a good visit, especially with a couple of goodies that came back with us.

A few weeks ago, mom's husband helped a neighbor fell a pecan tree. He kept four logs for me to take a look at. I got two of them in the trunk of our Sable and brought them back. The others will come back on a future trip in our Escape. These are the smallest of the logs - one about 32" long and 8" diameter, the other about 28" long and 9" diameter. Since I'm not really a turner, I'll probably cut them into boards on my bandsaw and sticker them for a couple of years. I haven't seen the inside of any of the wood, so I don't know yet whether it qualifies as "pee-can" or "puh-kahn". ;)
2012Mar_Pecan.jpg

LOML and her mom wanted to go to the Outlet Mall in Leeds, so I went along - as did the horse. While the women were shopping for unmentionables, I walked over to the Pro Tool Sales store. I wasn't really looking for anything - just wanted to 'do my thing'. It turns out they were having a promotion that included 50% off Porter-Cable and B&D items. I had picked up the PC Drill/Circular Saw kit at Lowe's Black Friday sale in 2009 and had been looking for the right price for another drill like that. The borg and online outlets only had it as low as about $97, so I waited. The store at the Outlet Mall had the kit pictured below marked on the shelf at $81.99 - the sale price was half that. So, I gladly gave the salesman my credit card and walked out a happy guy!
2012Mar_PCKit.jpg

Before we left for our visit, I had ordered a small amount of stuff from both Rockler and Amazon. I knew the Rocker order was scheduled for delivery while we were gone - turns out both both were delivered. Glu-Bot and some jig parts from Rockler and a Freud combo blade from Amazon.
2012Mar_Stuff.jpg

Maybe I should go visit the in-laws more often!?!?!? :huh:

Wow Bill what a great deal you got on the drill.

Looking forward to hearing what comes out those logs, holding thumbs that its a glorious delight. :)

Sorry about the horse;) but i think i will steal that one too.:)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Wow Bill what a great deal you got on the drill.

And, it wasn't a refurbished kit - all new! The horse also got a good deal on some B&D batteries. He needed a replacement for a Firestorm drill battery - could have gotten one for about $17 - wound up with a refurbished leaf blower package with two batteries and a charger for $30.

Looking forward to hearing what comes out those logs, holding thumbs that its a glorious delight. :)

I'm waffling on how to cut them. I know I'll slice one into boards, but I'm thinking about cutting a couple of bowl blanks from one also. I've never done much turning - a few pens and some practice stuff. It might be time to try a bowl or two.

Sorry about the horse;) but i think i will steal that one too.:)

Go for it! ;) Ditto for Jim and Ron!