First Handcut Dovetails - Rob Cosman Methodology

For years I have been wanting to get back into hand tool work (I started messing around with it when pseudo-apprenticing with a violin maker), and last week our local Woodcraft store hosted Rob Cosman. He did some demos, and he laid out all the details of how he likes to cut dovetails. I learned some great tips for practicing sawing accurately, and I immediately had some good results.

It was obvious that I didn't have a rip tooth back saw, so decided to get the Veritas 14 TPI dovetail saw to get me on my way. After getting a feel for how to start the cuts effectively I can say that I really like this saw even though I would like the set to be a little less.

Anywho, here is my first dovetail joint. I had a couple mishaps with the chisel while chopping, and I wasn't able to get a perfect joint right off the saw like Cosman teaches, but that will get worked out with more practice. I am quite pleased with the result and had a blast while doing it!

- Hutch

Attachments

• DT 1.jpg
    DT 1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 69
  • DT 2.jpg
    DT 2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 68
  • DT 3.jpg
    DT 3.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 73
Nice tails Hutch:thumb: Rob is quite the guy and a great teacher:) I was able to attend his hand plane class while he was there and he used my #4C for the demo:D, was not able to attend the dove tail class:( hopefully if he comes again I will be able to attend.

I would say that while Crossman is a pretty good teacher; he had a good student!! I have never seen that fine of work on a first attempt at dove tails

You will never see my first effort (or my third for that matter).

OK, 'fess up, Hutch. Those were really the dovetails Rob cut at the demo, right? You know, April Fools and all that? Right? :rolleyes: :D

Great work, man. If those are your first, I can only imagine how the 100th set is gonna look. :clap:

Thanks all!

I made several dozen practice cuts to get the feel for how to let the saw do the cutting. Still, a sharp chisel covers many sawing sins....as long as you don't cut past your mark. :D I have a feeling that tackling half-blinds is a bit down the road.

- Hutch

Congratulations! I also learned from Rob Cosman's video, but strange enough I found that pins first technique suits me best, and I do not want to start that debate here!

What I also found is that unless you practise almost everyday you loose your precision, and have to re-learn again.

Thanks all!

I made several dozen practice cuts to get the feel for how to let the saw do the cutting. Still, a sharp chisel covers many sawing sins....as long as you don't cut past your mark. :D I have a feeling that tackling half-blinds is a bit down the road.

- Hutch
Actually, half blinds are easier than through dovetails. The reason is that only one face of the tail shows in the joint. The other side of the tail can be a mess and no one will ever know. When I do dovetails, I almost always choose half blinds.

Mike

[Full disclosure: I teach a recurring class on hand cut dovetails for beginners.]