Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: slab flattening jig/table build

What a nice piece of wood. I continue to be amazed at the guys who can see what lies beneath the surface. Nice job there John.
    Rob .....Alias John Wayne now Pasquinell da trapper.

"forget the apples slap some bacon on a biscuit and lets go...

We're burning daylight"

I'm thinking about putting a few butterflies in one of the cracks on the slab. I was thinking about making them graduated along the crack and making them out of some curly maple for the contrast. Would you graduate them or make them all the same size, and what's your opinion about the contrast? I roughed out a few to see what they would look like. I also have a nice chunk of cocobolo that I could make them from. Which would you go with?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	butterfly.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	66697 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	butterfly (2).jpg 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	66698

There is also a crack in the middle on the slab that I'd like to just fill. I don't want butterflies all over the place. What would you use to fill these cracks? I was thinking about using some epoxy and tinting it black.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crack.jpg 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	66699Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crack1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	66700

i have seen both ways on the butterflies john, and my preference is to go with the cocobolo, as for the crack filling use epoxy and walnut dust mixed in it. then it will almost disappear.. i like the looks of the graduated butterflies as well
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Graduated MAPLE butterflies, and agree with Larry on the epoxy/sanding dust - or you could dye the epoxy black for emphasis.
    Jim D.
    Adapt...Improvise...Overcome!

It seems to me that the whole premise of "Political Correctness," however well-intentioned it may be, runs the danger of uniform mediocrity becoming the norm.

not trying to sway your decision but wanted to clarify why i said what i did on the bow ties john,, in the piecesIhave seen with bow ties, the high dollar pieces had the similar colored ones rather contrasting ones..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Just my opinions, worth no more than the electrons they are written with:
    Graduated dovetails, but your tails taper too much, try 1:6 or 1:8 or in degrees about a 10 degree angle.
    I agree with Larry, darker wood. Or even the same wood species.
    As for filler, try coffee grounds mixed in epoxy, gives a very dark brown that looks like a natural color variation in the wood. I like it better than sanding dust.
    Your work is looking good, and I'm looking forward to your progress John.
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    use epoxy and walnut dust mixed in it. then it will almost disappear..
    Test Test Test this preferably with whatever finish you want to put on top over it as well to make sure it all looks good together. Generally the epoxy ends up darker than the dust, and the finer the dust the better as it blends in better.

I have to agree with Larry on using cocobolo or a similar colored wood for the butterfiles. I love the look of maple and walnut as Jim D suggested, but more so on boxes and cutting boards. .

Also, in opinion 2 butterflies would look better than 3, again just my opinion. Looking forward to what you go with.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I vote for the darker butterflys so that they do not distract with the beautiful grain of that walnut. Now just a couple of swipes with a handplane and the top will be finished.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

All I know is that I am following with great interest as I have one of those slabs also With me being a curlie maple fan, using it for the butterflies, stained some what dark could be interesting