slab flattening jig/table build

I'm thinking about putting a few butterflies in one of the cracks on the slab. I was thinking about making them graduated along the crack and making them out of some curly maple for the contrast. Would you graduate them or make them all the same size, and what's your opinion about the contrast? I roughed out a few to see what they would look like. I also have a nice chunk of cocobolo that I could make them from. Which would you go with?
butterfly.jpg butterfly (2).jpg

There is also a crack in the middle on the slab that I'd like to just fill. I don't want butterflies all over the place. What would you use to fill these cracks? I was thinking about using some epoxy and tinting it black.

crack.jpgcrack1.jpg

i have seen both ways on the butterflies john, and my preference is to go with the cocobolo, as for the crack filling use epoxy and walnut dust mixed in it. then it will almost disappear.. i like the looks of the graduated butterflies as well

not trying to sway your decision but wanted to clarify why i said what i did on the bow ties john,, in the piecesIhave seen with bow ties, the high dollar pieces had the similar colored ones rather contrasting ones..

Just my opinions, worth no more than the electrons they are written with:
Graduated dovetails, but your tails taper too much, try 1:6 or 1:8 or in degrees about a 10 degree angle.
I agree with Larry, darker wood. Or even the same wood species.
As for filler, try coffee grounds mixed in epoxy, gives a very dark brown that looks like a natural color variation in the wood. I like it better than sanding dust.
Your work is looking good, and I'm looking forward to your progress John.

use epoxy and walnut dust mixed in it. then it will almost disappear..

Test Test Test this :D preferably with whatever finish you want to put on top over it as well to make sure it all looks good together. Generally the epoxy ends up darker than the dust, and the finer the dust the better as it blends in better.

I have to agree with Larry on using cocobolo or a similar colored wood for the butterfiles. I love the look of maple and walnut as Jim D suggested, but more so on boxes and cutting boards. .

Also, in opinion 2 butterflies would look better than 3, again just my opinion. Looking forward to what you go with. :lurk:

I vote for the darker butterflys so that they do not distract with the beautiful grain of that walnut. Now just a couple of swipes with a handplane and the top will be finished.

All I know is that I am following with great interest as I have one of those slabs also:) With me being a curlie maple fan, using it for the butterflies, stained some what dark could be interesting:lurk::lurk::lurk:

...I was thinking about using some epoxy and tinting it black.

I've used a lot of this to fill cracks on turned pieces. It's already black, so no tinting required, and it has never let me down:

http://www.amazon.com/Devcon-62345-Strength-Plastic-Filled/dp/B000KE0T3O

Personally, I prefer the solid color look of a black epoxy patch over the glue/sawdust or glue/coffee mixes.

I did make the mistake of tinting clear epoxy with black India ink once. Bad idea. Four or five years later, and that epoxy is still soft enough to dent it easily with a fingernail. :doh:

Welp, I guess I'll be going with the dark, graduated, and work on the angles. Just for fun I showed a couple of my classes the pics and the consensus was the same. You can't go wrong with what 7th and 8th graders think!:D I'm off to work up a few more samples.

Thanks for all the advice, it is appreciated!

I mocked up a few more butterflies. These seem to look a little better.

IMAG0178.jpg

Last edited:
I scrounged around and found a piece of walnut that had some nice grain and a little curl in it, so I decided to use it for the butterflies.

IMAG0182.jpg

After seeing them I think dark was the way to go. I had to do a little crack filling with some epoxy/sanding dust because I got a little ape handed with the chisel in a couple of places! I'm telling myself it was on purpose so I can see how it looks so I can decide if I want to use it to fill the larger cracks!;)

I also hit a couple of spots with the 80 grit plane and splashed on some denatured alcohol. All I can say is wow! the picture doesn't do it justice.

IMAG0183.jpg

I've got a #4 set up that I'd love to have a go at smoothing the top with, but after seeing the way the grain swirls in this thing, I'd have more tear out than a demolition crew!

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Last edited:
Talk about an heirloom!!!

I've followed along now and then. At this point I will add one comment---strictly from an optics standpoint. When you blend or want it to be unobtrusive, go darker.

OK, so two comments. I agree with the darker wood, the three butterflies and the latest angle on the butterflies.

That table will be enjoyed for a century or two.

JimB

well john your doing that slab proud, so much so that your right next to the other one that i felt done it proud in the other form called spinning.. you have made my day by allowing a piece of wood i had to be shown off to many others and will be proudly displayed for years to come. well done and am proud of what of your doing with it:)!!!!

Thanks Larry and everyone for the comments. It's an honor to work on something this outstanding.

I got the top sanded with 80 grit. Here's a couple of pics. 80 grit (3).jpg80 grit (5).jpg I had to do a second application with the epoxy, it sank a little below the surface.

I'm not going any further on the top until I decide how to do the base. I'm sure I'll have a few dings and scuffs I'll have to fix.

Any opinions for the base?