Workbench, Phase I

Chuck Rodekohr

In Memorium
Phase 1 of my workbench construction has been completed, using ShopNotes Plans Now Heavy=Duty Workbench plans. I used Red Oak with three plies of MDF glued up for the top, Jorgrnsen 41012 front vice. I omitted the end vice due to lack of room. Phase II will be two sets of three drawers underneath.

Attachments

• Workbench.jpg
    Workbench.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 117
Thank you, all. I was using plywood on saw horses for a workbench and thought it was time to do it right. Carol, I moved my wife's Lincoln out of the garage. It was too long anyway and now that she is retired, she doesn't need to deal with frost on the windshield on cold mornings anymore because she gets to sleep in now.

Nice bench Chuck. I used ideas from the same plan. One of the things I did was make a sacrificial top from tempered Masonite & I suggest it to all who make this style bench. I do have another cabinet with an MDF top it is not as tough as my bench top & has scores in it from sliding things onto & around on it that the Masonite would have handled better. Another thing is it is easily replaceable making the top look brand new once more. I still need to make a cabinet underneath the bench.

Attachments

• A1 myshop 046.jpg
    A1 myshop 046.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 51
Well done. Different strokes for different folks but, when I made my first drawer module I only left enough room between the bottom of the benchtop and the top of the drawer unit to bow the chips off. I soon found that I wanted room to reach under there now and again so, the next unit was a few inches shorter. Just food for thought and your bench looks great. A bit stouter than the plywood and horses I'll wager :thumb:

Attachments

• Shop Tour 2011-10-19 (34).jpg
    Shop Tour 2011-10-19 (34).jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 44
Bart, I thought about using masonite but opted to stick with the plans because I have a roll around cabinet that doubles as a table saw extension and glue up surface that is also MDF. I finished the tops with three coats of poly and a good coat of Johnsons paste wax, and the roll around looks almost as good as my new bench top, and it is about 10 years old. I just put on another coat of wax every now and then.

Glenn, my plans call for a four inch gap between the top of the cabinets and the bottom of the bench top, so you can pop up any dogs that get stuck. This bench is a little more stout. I would guess that it weighs over 300 pounds without the cabinet. Your bench looks great.

Larry, it’s still a little tight. I moved the drill press out of the way for the photo, but I’m getting there with the addition of the wall cabinets and a few other roll arounds. I really have Jay envy. I was kinda counting on winning that $600 million lottery so I could build a real shop, but I guess I’ll have to wait until next time and just look at Jay’s pictures and dream.

Larry, it’s still a little tight. I moved the drill press out of the way for the photo, but I’m getting there with the addition of the wall cabinets and a few other roll arounds. I really have Jay envy. I was kinda counting on winning that $600 million lottery so I could build a real shop, but I guess I’ll have to wait until next time and just look at Jay’s pictures and dream.

Sorry Bud :D

I spent months going over bench plans. I purchased several books on benches. I read everything I could find in the neighboring libraries on benches. I ended up with a good bench for me.

Your bench is a good bench. There are years of comfort in using it in your future.

Enjoy,

JimB