Whirlwind for table saws

Unless I missed something, it won't help for cuts where the guard has to be moved out of the way. If you use a regular guard, you're protected anyway.

Or, is this another April Fool's thingy???

Nope, not April Fool's. This one has been lurking around for awhile. One difference among many that will occupy those with time to discuss it, is that the blade could neatly cleave a finger in the amount of time required to stop the blade. Oh darn. I think I just triggered a 476 post discussion :D.

Looks like they must use a polarity change to stop the motor instantly like they do. I'd agree with Bill A. that the stock guards would probably do the job, but I could see a use for this with schools and places where inexperienced users would benefit from the added safety. The light and dust collection is a nice perk. At least if your finger did get cut off, you could see that and it would get sucked up and you'd be able to find it. ;) :D

...At least if your finger did get cut off, you could see that and it would get sucked up and you'd be able to find it. ;) :D

Dangit Darren, I'm at the office and people are wondering why I'm laughing out loud. :rolleyes: :rofl:

I'm with Bill and Glenn on this. While the 1/8 second stop time would be better than nothing, it's still enough time to do some serious damage. And not much help to those of us who consider a blade guard to be a safety issue in the first place.

It's important to note that the Whirlwind is designed to start shutting the motor down once you violate the blade guard BEFORE your flesh meets the blade. Thus...1/8 of second might be enough.... It's been around for some time and not much action on it so far.

But, but, the Hot dog test! It passes the hot dog test! What more do you people need for crying out loud! :chair::D

I think it is good that some companies are gearing up towards producing safety products. I cannot wait to see what they come out with in the next 10-15 years. SawStop was only the beginning. Innovation is a wonderful thing.

I think it is good that some companies are gearing up towards producing safety products. I cannot wait to see what they come out with in the next 10-15 years. SawStop was only the beginning. Innovation is a wonderful thing.

Maybe.

Equipment is no replacement for a functioning brain.