Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walnut Rough Outs

Walnut Rough Outs

Took the day "off" (and tomorrow and wednesday as well - I was at "use it or loose it time) so took advantage to finish up dealing with some of the rest of the walnut I didn't slab up.

Disclaimer: I'm not really a bowl turner by any stretch of the imagination so please be gentle!!
    However.. when life gives you fresh walnut.. watcha gonna do?

I was just shooting for rough form for now and leaving a fair bit of meat until they dry some. The wood is really green, I had a nice "racing stripe" going up the wall..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0571.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	66474

I powered out before the last one, I'll finish it up and bag it tomorrow(had to save some energy to wipe down the tools.. and that was about all I had left, that desk job don't make the standing days easier). The rest have been bagged with shavings, the larger one had some serious stress cracks , I soaked them in CA and crossed my fingers.. Good experience anyway even if it cracks.

Looking good, Ryan. Wet walnut is one of my favorites to turn.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Looks good. Love turning and the smell walnut leaves in the shop. My favorite to turn along with cherry.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bowls look good. Hope you will show us the finished product.

Looks like a new lathe. Not sure if you have already done the gloat but Congrats anyway.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohammad Madha View Post
    Looks like a new lathe. Not sure if you have already done the gloat but Congrats anyway.
    Actually got it last fall, I was grumbling about "can't do this" and "can't do that" and loml said "get a lathe that you won't want to replace in 6 months" so I did So far its tested my abilities a lot more than I have its abilities .

Finished

Finally got the camera out and took some pictures before these start dispersing to the four winds. Note that these are the first bowls I've actually finished in about 20 years so having them work at all was pretty happy making

The largest bowl about 9" across and 4" high, this is the one that cracked madly. I managed to rescue it with large quantities of CA and sawdust and finished it with 5 coats of WTF over one coat of walnut oil. The finish isn't perfect and could definitely use some buffing (buffed by hand, a buffing system .. maybe someday if I do more). If you look closely you can still see the crazing from some of the cracks. The black line to the right of the white spot was originally one giant crack. Turned to a smidge under 3/8".

Name:	IMG_1368.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	70026

Name:	IMG_1369.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	70027

Name:	IMG_1370.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	70028

The rest of these were finished with walnut oil (3 coats with the first two sanded in) and carnuba wax (3 coats, buffed). I used WTF on the big bowl because of the large amount of shiny parts where the CA is holding it together and straight walnut oil/wax really showed the contrast so.. yeah. Both look nice, the wtf is shinier so perhaps if I was selling things that would be a plus.

A side an top view of what I'm calling a "nut bowl" (just looks like it should have some nuts in it). Yeah I know the base should have been wider.. live and learn. The figure in it is pretty nice though some really cool swirls.

Name:	IMG_1371.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	70029

Name:	IMG_1372.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	70030

A platter about 8" across. Originally it had a foot but the foot was to small so I turned it off. Otherwise I'd have tried to get it flatter. Ah well.

Name:	IMG_1373.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	70031

The bobbsie twins, small bowls 5.5" and 6" across respectively. The larger one is pretty thin, close to 1/8" the smaller a smidge thicker at around 3/16".

Name:	IMG_1374.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	70032

A slightly flatter bowl, lots of cracking on the far side, but held together. I couldn't bring myself to turn off that cool figure so more sawdust and CA

Name:	IMG_1376.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	70033

A family portrait.

Name:	IMG_1378.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	70034

Nicely done, especially for a guy who hasn't turned a bowl in 20 years.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

All the way around, Ryan! I love Walnut... how it looks, how it turns, everything! And these are no exception!
    Billy B.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

Nice job on the chocolate Ryan.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Real nice
    Faith, Hope & Charity