Walnut Rough Outs

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
:busy: Took the day "off" (and tomorrow and wednesday as well - I was at "use it or loose it time) so took advantage to finish up dealing with some of the rest of the walnut I didn't slab up.

Disclaimer: I'm not really a bowl turner by any stretch of the imagination so please be gentle!!
However.. when life gives you fresh walnut.. watcha gonna do?

I was just shooting for rough form for now and leaving a fair bit of meat until they dry some. The wood is really green, I had a nice "racing stripe" going up the wall.. :rofl:

IMG_0571.JPG

I powered out before the last one, I'll finish it up and bag it tomorrow(had to save some energy to wipe down the tools.. and that was about all I had left, that desk job don't make the standing days easier). The rest have been bagged with shavings, the larger one had some serious stress cracks :eek:, I soaked them in CA and crossed my fingers.. Good experience anyway even if it cracks.

Thanks all.

Looks like a new lathe. Not sure if you have already done the gloat but Congrats anyway.

Actually got it last fall, I was grumbling about "can't do this" and "can't do that" and loml said "get a lathe that you won't want to replace in 6 months" so I did :D :thumb: So far its tested my abilities a lot more than I have its abilities :D.

Finished

Finally got the camera out and took some pictures before these start dispersing to the four winds. Note that these are the first bowls I've actually finished in about 20 years so having them work at all was pretty happy making :D

The largest bowl about 9" across and 4" high, this is the one that cracked madly. I managed to rescue it with large quantities of CA and sawdust and finished it with 5 coats of WTF over one coat of walnut oil. The finish isn't perfect and could definitely use some buffing (buffed by hand, a buffing system .. maybe someday if I do more). If you look closely you can still see the crazing from some of the cracks. The black line to the right of the white spot was originally one giant crack. Turned to a smidge under 3/8".
IMG_1368.JPG

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

The rest of these were finished with walnut oil (3 coats with the first two sanded in) and carnuba wax (3 coats, buffed). I used WTF on the big bowl because of the large amount of shiny parts where the CA is holding it together and straight walnut oil/wax really showed the contrast so.. yeah. Both look nice, the wtf is shinier so perhaps if I was selling things that would be a plus.

A side an top view of what I'm calling a "nut bowl" (just looks like it should have some nuts in it). Yeah I know the base should have been wider.. live and learn. The figure in it is pretty nice though some really cool swirls.

IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1372.jpg

A platter about 8" across. Originally it had a foot but the foot was to small so I turned it off. Otherwise I'd have tried to get it flatter. Ah well.
IMG_1373.jpg

The bobbsie twins, small bowls 5.5" and 6" across respectively. The larger one is pretty thin, close to 1/8" the smaller a smidge thicker at around 3/16".
IMG_1374.jpg

A slightly flatter bowl, lots of cracking on the far side, but held together. I couldn't bring myself to turn off that cool figure so more sawdust and CA
IMG_1376.jpg

A family portrait.
IMG_1378.jpg

Well turning bowls must be like riding a bike for you...didn't loose any touch in those 20 yrs...great set of bowls there Ryan! :thumb:

Well, if he hadn't stopped, he would have turned through the bottoms of them all, man! Sheesh, do I have to explain everything? :rofl:

Haha! Loml is looking at me funny again because I'm laughing at stuff on the interwebs. Thanks all, I can certainly see a lot of "coulda woulda" in them hopefully I'll get to the next set a little faster :D