Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Follow up on Vaughns post

As I am reading all this I remember someone saying that sometimes a piece of wood will only allow you to do so much. It's not what you want but there sometimes is nothing else you can do. To me that would be a good enough. I mean they look good just not great.
    Dennis

For whatever it is worth---I still have my first bowl. It is out in plain sight. It is used every day. My wife puts her watch, ring, etc. in it on the stairway; to be carried up next time she goes up.

I am proud of it---as a first bowl.

Enjoy,

JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Kranz View Post
    As I am reading all this I remember someone saying that sometimes a piece of wood will only allow you to do so much. It's not what you want but there sometimes is nothing else you can do. To me that would be a good enough. I mean they look good just not great.
    Dennis
    This is all true, but that still doesn't excuse things like deep sanding marks. That has nothing to do with the wood, and everything to do with the turner's patience. If this guy had spent 15 to 30 more minutes on a piece, the problem would have gone away. And also, if it doesn't come out like you want, then why sell it? I sell "good" pieces, but never "good enough" pieces.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com