Last Straw..

well its gonna be a long day for sure, gonna make some saw dust and hopefully make some sale items for a up coming quilt retreat. and listen to some tunes.. this afternoon the folks are gonna drop by and will probably have to let them know of my new situation.. funny how history repeats itself but my dad lost his job at around that same age due to lack of business and then he got a part time job to make him threw till SS.. he liked it alot and went back from time to time to see the guys.. he had been there for around 33 yrs at the old job that dried up.. so off i go to the shop and dont need to punch no more and listen to some poor advice or ideas..

Hang tuff buddy, hang tuff. You have more up in that noggin than many of us will ever have. When the time comes right, you will use it to your best advantage. Just take it all one day at a time. Good you have your folks too, and Randi.

Aloha and thank you for being FWW's Ambassador to all. You have made a difference..

All I can say is that it sucks! Loyalty counts for nothing anymore. All the they care about anymore is the bottom line and what they can do to increase their profits without any regards to the employees that make it possible.

Enjoy this time you have now Larry. One thing I have learned over time is that there is a reason for everything even though we can't see or understand it. I was actually relieved when I got laid off Jan. 8 2010. No more worry every Friday if you were the next one or what benefits might be taken away or another pay cut. Most of all no more 200 mile per day drives 6 to 7 days a week.

I can't say I'm better of financially but emotionally and spiritually I'm much better off.

I agree with the statements that this sucks. Sounds like they waited until you were gone so they wouldn't have to look you in the face. Despicable in my eyes. Here's to finding a new arena, and with someone who values their workforce. Jim.

Larry
I have been trying to wait till could come with something wise to say................

Isn't happening so I'll just say that I feel for you and this is way to common place in business. I hope and expect you to land on your feet. I have been let go twice in my life and both ended up working out for the best. I am at my son's down her in Wooster, Ohio this week and it seems as if there are lots of jobs coming back..

Best Garry

Last edited:
Larry,
You are a good man with a warm heart and are well liked and respected by your friends here. I’m sure God feels the same way and will look out for you. I’m glad that you and the crew could visit when you came to the left coast. We’ll meet again, I am sure.
Chuck

Sorry to hear of the setback Larry. I hope it all works out well for you in the end. I haven't been around this site much so I just caught up today. You have received some good advice and resources already and I don't really have anything to add. Just my encouragement and good wishes. Hang in there.

thanks for all the well wishes and advice its now day three of my new life and tom came over and we got threw another stage in the healing process:) i have been told by some who have gone threw this that there was gonna be some stages where i was gonna need to go threw and that you can not hurry threw it and to not let it affect me in a negative way.. so i am trying to be the same feller you all have read about or seen in person, and am gonna go see the state office on monday to se what is out there for someone like me and at this age.. i know it can be bleak, but i do feel that there is osmething out there to make the rest of my working time full filled in agood way, be it going out on my own in some venture or for someone,, the for someone is gonna be tough, because my faith in employers is gone. and some how i need to disquise that or figure out how to correct it.. if any of you have some insight on the faith part in a new employer please feel free to voice your thoughts , i am not the only one in this plight and many could use the help as i do.. perhaps i should just start a thread for that and see where it goes..:)

I replied to your other thread, Larry. I want to add this. As I said early, go to the state unemployment office on Monday. Be objective and see what they have to offer. Remember that they are not particularly interested in your reaction to what has happened, so don't go there. Vent here. Try to go with the attitude, 'It is what it is. Now what?" While you are there, file for unemployment benefits. You have earned them. Your former employer has been paying for them and it's account will be charged accordingly. No place for false pride here. It is a benefit of having worked at a job. It is not a hand out. It is bridge funding to the next job. You are in my prayers. You are a good guy, a valuable guy. You will find a firm who will value who you are, and who earns your trust.

Larry, as tough as that news is to learn, I appreciate your posting it for us here. Yours is not the first job from the printing industry I have seen go under. We have met, it was an honor to have you in my home. From our meeting, I feel certain you are the kind of person who will grab them boot straps and be successful at a new challenge very soon. Remind yourself of what tomorrow is all about and go from there.