Help: Hardware painting...

Greg Cook

I would like to make this towel rack...

Look more like this lamp..

I'm not trying to duplicate exactly...but just get it a little closer to the "rustic" look, if you will.

The lamp is the "Base" of our powder room remodel. We are using it for wall colors, wallpaper, granite counter top, faucet and other hardware. The towel rack is about as close as we could get in style, and the dark won't look all that bad...but a closer match will be much better, IMO.

I was thinking of diluting some model paint, browns, gold and brushing it on. then some black highlights. But...I like ideas from the pros, please!

Thanks.

[size=+1]Not a pro, but... Take a look at some of the paints and paint effects available from the model train hobby shops. Some of the textures and effects they use to make their trains and scenery look 'lifelike' should do just what you're looking for. [/size]

Greg-

First step is to figure out what your base color is, usually a medium to light shade of the overall piece. Kind of what your impression of the color would be if it were fresh out of the factory and not all antiquey looking. You then wash it with thinned paint in darker shades of the base color. Next step is to drybrush lighter shades of the base color, maybe with metallics mixed in. For drybrushing a nice fine bristle brush is best. Maybe the smallest sythetic that the local borg has. You lightly dip it and work it back and forth on some paper or cardboard until the paint is getting close to dry and looking streaky. It should then only deposit paint on the high spots of the piece you're finishing.

John

ps- model store is a good place to look for paint, lots of colors, lots of metallics, small bottles.