Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Face planing, I think.

Face planing, I think.

All my life, I have used planes wrongly. I have used them mostly for edge planing and chamfering, and always tried to take too heavy a cut, and never sharpened (I was afraid to!) Now that I've really gotten into the sharpening thing, I tried planing the side of a piece of wood today, successfully. That may not sound like a big deal, but heretofore I would have sanded that thing, and not got as nice a finish. My unbranded Made in |Canada #4 plane of uncertain vintage was taking shavings of about .0015" to .003" depending on the set of the blade. The finish on the side of the cutting board I was working with is nicer than sanded, too.

Just sharing a growth moment. Can still find new things out, at my age.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Roger i can totally relate to your experience, sorry to break the news to you but now you are hooked like a crack addict.

After getting to grips with doing the sharpening gig and tune up gig, i can simply get a great deal of pleasure just playing around shaving wood to thin strips for no reason.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    cheers

Somewhere deep inside me is a guy who wants to learn how to use hand tools. I'm really impressed with all you guys that are committed to them. But as soon as I hit the power switch, watch the lights dim, and listen to 220 volts of power surging through my shop all thoughts of turning to the dark side fade

I do love a real sharp chisel though
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Not much better than the sound, the feel.....Ahhhhh, hand planes

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Somewhere deep inside me is a guy who wants to learn how to use hand tools. I'm really impressed with all you guys that are committed to them. But as soon as I hit the power switch, watch the lights dim, and listen to 220 volts of power surging through my shop all thoughts of turning to the dark side fade ...

Preach it, man!

Actually, Ken Werner showed be what a well-tuned hand plane feels like, and I must admit, it's a pretty sweet thing that I'll be seeking more of.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Roger, before you get too stuck on the thickness of your shavings, remember that it's the surface left behind that counts, and not the shaving you remove. That said, I must admit that I have measured the thickness of shavings, [but I didn't inhale them. ]
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Quote Originally Posted by ken werner View Post
    Roger, before you get too stuck on the thickness of your shavings, remember that it's the surface left behind that counts, and not the shaving you remove. That said, I must admit that I have measured the thickness of shavings, [but I didn't inhale them. ]
    I know, but as this is my first time using this plane, I wanted to know how thin a shaving I was getting. Tomorrow I'm going to use it to shave the cheeks of the 18" wooden plane I am trying to make. I love the fact that I haven't paid more than $25 for any plane except possibly the one I bought new in the 70s. Take that, Veritas.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Somewhere deep inside me is a guy who wants to learn how to use hand tools. I'm really impressed with all you guys that are committed to them. But as soon as I hit the power switch, watch the lights dim, and listen to 220 volts of power surging through my shop all thoughts of turning to the dark side fade
    I instantly had a vision of Dr. Frankenstein shouting "It's alive! It's alive" as the electricity flows through the body of the Monster in Frankenstein.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by ken werner
    Good point, also think about how long it takes to remove an eighth of an inch of material 0.0005" at a pass. It's just as informative to see how thick of shaving you can make and still leave a decent surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Ulrich

Good point, also think about how long it takes to remove an eighth of an inch of material 0.0005" at a pass. It's just as informative to see how thick of shaving you can make and still leave a decent surface.
    I can sure second that one!!! Especially when jointing boards or panels!

Congrats on your "growth" it's exhilarating, isn't it!?