Don't Do That!

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
Sigh.. I left a piece of wet walnut offcut on the bandsaw table overnight. Went out there this afternoon and HUGE rust spot :doh:
Polish, wax, polish.. wax.. wax.. doesn't look to bad now.

What was your latest DOH! moment?

Sigh.. I left a piece of wet walnut offcut on the bandsaw table overnight. Went out there this afternoon and HUGE rust spot :doh:
Polish, wax, polish.. wax.. wax.. doesn't look to bad now.

What was your latest DOH! moment?

Left a big chunk of cherry on the tablesaw. Did not get back for a week. No matter how much i try you can still see it very well. Feel your pain.

Repeat after me; a tablesaw is not a table. A tablesaw is not a table. We've all done something like that somewhere. I aim to use my tools as tools and use work surfaces for setting "stuff" on; sometimes my aim is good, sometimes not so good. :rolleyes:

Well, I can tell you one thing, "Be very careful if you use a power buffer on the table." Myrna had a spot on the Corian kitchen counter. She was working very hard on it. I said, "Let me help." and being a power tool person, I got out a lambs wool padded power buffer.

Everything was fine. The spot was taken care of---UNTIL I looked up---there was a horizontal line clear around the kitchen and her desk (adjacent to the place I polished, but in a different room), her kitchen TV, the kitchen faucet, the microwave, the oven, (do I really need to continue this?). Yep, it was polish. We found spots of it in unusual places for a month or two afterward.

Enjoy,

JimB

I wish some real expensive piece of equipment, from the printing place where Larry worked, had been in the line of fire.

]Everything was fine. The spot was taken care of---UNTIL I looked up---there was a horizontal line clear around the kitchen and her desk (adjacent to the place I polished, but in a different room), her kitchen TV, the kitchen faucet, the microwave, the oven, (do I really need to continue this?). Yep, it was polish. We found spots of it in unusual places for a month or two afterward.
JimB

:rofl: :rofl: :eek: :rofl: And I thought the racing stripe of wet wood spray on the wall behind the lathe was bad!!

Ryan, I think we've all done something similar along the way. My 'doh' is usually dripping sweat on my table saw. I perspire easily and freely, so it's not unusual to leave some at the saw. On Tuesday, I was doing some cove cuts on the table saw, so there was sawdust everywhere. I was sweating like crazy and saw a drop land on the saw - right in some sawdust. There was plenty of other sawdust around, so it was a simple matter of swishing it around a bit and brush it onto the floor. If the saw had been clear, I probably wouldn't have seen the drop!

By the way, when I have some rust to clear, I'll grab the ROS with some 320 and polish it out, then apply some paste wax.

We had a temperature snap last spring, went from cold to really warm. I opened all the doors, and all of the equipment had condensation and rust. I spent at least eight hours with a Milwaukee buffer getting things polished back up. Completely un-cool.

Biggest mistake? Sticking my thumb in a bandsaw blade, tablesaw was no treat either. Most painful mistake? Getting the back side of my hand caught in a pneumatic door clamp, that was god-awful.

Well, I can tell you one thing, "Be very careful if you use a power buffer on the table." Myrna had a spot on the Corian kitchen counter. She was working very hard on it. I said, "Let me help." and being a power tool person, I got out a lambs wool padded power buffer.

Everything was fine. The spot was taken care of---UNTIL I looked up---there was a horizontal line clear around the kitchen and her desk (adjacent to the place I polished, but in a different room), her kitchen TV, the kitchen faucet, the microwave, the oven, (do I really need to continue this?). Yep, it was polish. We found spots of it in unusual places for a month or two afterward.

Enjoy,

JimB

I wish some real expensive piece of equipment, from the printing place where Larry worked, had been in the line of fire.

I'll bet you were camouflaged the same way & would have blended right in.

Enjoy,

JimB

Reminds me of the time the food processor broke while I was making carrot soup... :eek:

Too late, done that, got the spots to prove it. I cut the corners off a block of green claro walnut on the band saw to use for bottle stoppers, and placed them on the table saw for a week. I scrubbed and scrubbed, but I still look at my table saw with distain.

De'stain de'stain boss here comes de'stain...

Partial Fantasy Is quote.....Hervé Villechaize. Tattoo would run up the main bell tower to ring the bell and shout "The plane! The plane!" to announce the arrival of a new set of guests

Last edited: