BB Trap

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I've been considering joining a local IDPA chapter and try doing some competitions. To be able to practice often and save a little money, I've been picking up a few co2 powered pistols lately that are close in size to my real guns.
IMAG0790.jpg IMAG0814.jpg

I decide to start building a BB trap tonight in the back of the shop, which I wanted to be able to hang three full sized IDPA targets side by side for practice drills. This is the main box, which is 4' X 8' X 20". It will have a few layers of heavy cloth hanging from rods above to slow down and stop the BB's. I used a full sheet of osb for the back stop, which has about a 30* angle to it, but hopefully it won't be needed often and the front layers will stop the BB's prior to getting to it. If they do make it that far, I wanted to deflect the BB so it would have to travel another path back through the layers.

IMAG0818.jpg IMAG0819.jpg

Still need to add some deflectors on the sides, top & Bottom which will probably extend those about 6"-8" further and have some straw bales that will be stacked below. I've been pretty good at keeping my shots on target, even at 15 yards, so I doubt I'll need them, but better safe than sorry.
IMAG0817.jpg

Oh boy can you just imagine what would happen here with my nn if i did that or even carried those bbs to my shop. I can see the headlines.........Man arrested for ..............you name it ........(lol) .

Enjoy your shop and freedom Darren.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

I shoot bbs out of a less powerful gun all the time.
I hang a few towels and that seems to kill the velocity of the bbs and they fall into a box.
I only shoot from 18-20 feet. (sometimes I use action figures as my targets, so the bbs ricochet.
I also shoot from my blowgun, but I was putting too many holes in my lumber, so I decided to stop using the metal darts.

The towel idea is what I was going for, figured I'd do at least three layers. It's pretty addicting isn't it Allen. My wife is thankful that there aren't shooting ranges around here like there are golf courses as it's really my version of golf.

Rob, Honestly they don't sound any louder than an air nailer, but I'd still do it with the windows closed at least on the side of your NN. Might hang a picture of him up as a target though. :D

Last edited:
The towel idea is what I was going for, figured I'd do at least three layers. It's pretty addicting isn't it Allen. My wife is thankful that there aren't shooting ranges around here like there are golf courses as it's really my version of golf.

Rob, Honestly they don't sound any louder than an air nailer, but I'd still do it with the windows closed at least on the side of your NN. Might hang a picture of him up as a target though. :D

Id rather be shooting my 686 or gold cup. I have a county range, which is pretty reasonable, 7 bucks an hour,(noone times you) if you are a resident.The fee might have went up, but its a nice facility and now and then my nephew(a police officer) drags me there and I do enjoy shooting his rifles.

Got the "baffles" added tonight and did some test shots. To hang the baffles I added a ledge on the sides to set 1x3's on. The baffles got stapled to the 1x3's and hung up. The first baffle is just an old drop cloth. I cut it in two and put a half on each side of the 1x3. I found the bb's were punching right through it.
IMAG0821.jpg IMAG0822.jpg

With the angled back stop, my theory worked, they punched through, but lost momentum and hit the back of the baffle dropping to the bottom.
IMAG0827.jpg

However I wanted to not have it punch all the way through, so I added another layer using 4 mill plastic, 4 layers, two on each side of the 1x3, This seemed to do the trick.
IMAG0824.jpgIMAG0831.jpg

The last 1x3 I attached binder clips on to hang targets.
IMAG0825.jpg

I'll probably look for some heavier material soon as the plastic does get punched up pretty bad.
IMAG0829.jpg

Overall, had some good results from quick draw practice. :)
IMAG0828.jpg

Not yet, was considering a slope from both the back and front to collect them in a center tray. Currently I've just got a floor sweep magnet that will collect them all from the flat bottom once the baffles are lifted up out of the way.