Bowl

Well as I said in the other thread the wife said she wanted a bowl for candy to sit on the coffee table. So who am I to argue. She picked out the piece she wanted and I went to town. It is 7" across and 2" high. It has a coat of oil to pop the grain. The wood is Redwood. When dry I will put a couple of coats of shellac then General Finishes WTF. The wood is beautiful and full of grain movement.

Attachments

• Redwood Bowl 3.jpg
    Redwood Bowl 3.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Redwood Bowl 4.jpg
    Redwood Bowl 4.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Very pretty bowl, Bernie, but I think the black pedestal is a bit too much. :rofl:

Is that some of the wood from Jim Burr?

Thanks again. JimB talk about me being a punster.:rofl:

Jim K. this is the first piece of redwood I have turned that turned out. I have bought several pieces off the big auction site. Most of them are punky or just fly apart on the lathe. Maybe it was just me but this piece turned beautifully.

Very good looking piece. Is Redwood a soft wood? ...

The stuff I've turned sure has been. It can sometimes be difficult to get a good clean cut, especially if it's real dry. It's also pretty easy to sand it too much (to the point where you can feel the growth rings). Sure is pretty when finished, though.

Thanks again. It is a soft wood. You need to be a little careful when sanding it. Also I have found that hairline cracks are hard to see so you need to be a little careful.