Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bench on a bench

Bench on a bench

I started my bench on bench today and have the stock prepped and a pile of shavings. The bench is loosely based on the design in Fine Woodworking's Workbench Issue.

Tomorrow I will start the M&T joints for the base.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image-725623324.jpg   image-1047190085.jpg   image-3665157917.jpg  

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    I'm guessing it's this one your referring to? www.finewoodworking.com/PlansAndProjects/PlansAndProjectsPDF.aspx?id=24127
    Looking forward to it either/or I like the versatility something like this would offer.

That's the one!

The jointery will be different. My M&T's will be much deeper and they will be cross dowelled. No bolts, I don't usually do metal in stuff that I build.

Patiently waiting, Dennis... lol what is that, oak?

I guess you changed your mind about the Moxon? Kinda funny given your discussion of it got my wheels turning and despite questioning why you would ever want one I plan to build one now

PROGRESS???

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Becnel
    Patiently waiting, Dennis... lol what is that, oak?

I guess you changed your mind about the Moxon? Kinda funny given your discussion of it got my wheels turning and despite questioning why you would ever want one I plan to build one now

PROGRESS???
    The Moxon goes on the front side of this.

Yeh it's white oak. I bought 300+ Bd Ft of it a couple of years ago for $200.

Yesterday I planed the 2x12 x 7' plank and cut all of the pieces to size. Today, I cut all of the tenons. Tomorrow I will chop the mortices and chamfer edges. When I get all of the parts full prepped, I'll post pre-assembly photos.

I ended up ordering veneer press screws to use for the Moxon vise.

If the upload worked correctly, here is a version that I made some time ago. It is made with plain old fir and I used cheap pipe clamps. If you look closely, you can see that there is a 2x2 clamped in the main workbench vise - it has two 3/4" dowels that extend up into the front of the legs. That's what secures it into position. When stored, that 2x2 is flipped over and stored in the top of the same two dowel holes in the legs. It has proven nice and sturdy and handy.

I've been asked whether or not the clamps stick out too much. I leave them on the front for convenience, but if they get in the way, I reverse the clamps. Also, if I need more than the 4" gap the vise provides, I can use longer pipes for whatever depth I need. Also, I have pulled the clamps out to use elsewhere temporarily. Versatile setup.

Mike Cebula
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LittleGuy1.jpg  
    Last edited by Mike Cebula; 04-23-2012 at 03:38 AM.
    The saw and I get along fine, because I always assume it is trying to maim me.

Good deal, Denny and nice bench Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cebula
    If the upload worked correctly, here is a version that I made some time ago. It is made with plain old fir and I used cheap pipe clamps. If you look closely, you can see that there is a 2x2 clamped in the main workbench vise - it has two 3/4" dowels that extend up into the front of the legs. That's what secures it into position. When stored, that 2x2 is flipped over and stored in the top of the same two dowel holes in the legs. It has proven nice and sturdy and handy.

Mike Cebula
    Mike,

That's a nice bench. I'm using dowels and bench dog holes to locate my bench on the bench; but I like your approach.

Nice looking benches everybody! This mitigates me to start the build process on mine!
    Jeff

A man may fulfill the object of his existence by asking a question he cannot answer, and attempting a task he cannot achieve.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes

My internet was down last night, so the picture of all of the jointed parts had to wait. Today, the plan is to assemble the base.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image-2792511629.jpg