Roubo Workbench

Dennis Ulrich

Here are a couple of pictures of my bench just after I finished it. The last couple of years have been hard on it. It's a lot more beat up today.

Attachments

• image-712354267.jpg
    image-712354267.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 82
  • image-2256768544.jpg
    image-2256768544.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 75
ken werner said:
wood used? height? [looks low] and how does its height compare with yours? Looks like the top is about 3.5" thick - is it?
I like the holdfasts.

The bench is 8' long x 22" wide x 30" high. That height puts the top of the bench at the first knuckle of my thumb when I stand beside it. I find it just right for planing. It's too low for cutting dovetails and M&T joints. That is why I plan to build a bench on bench.

The wood I used is construction lumber, I think Douglas Fir. I had planned to use 2 x 4's for the top; but discovered that 2 x 12's were straighter so I ripped them in thirds.

The leg vise, crochet, and deadman are made from red oak.

I got the holdfasts from either Japan Woodworker or Woodcraft, I can't remember which.

Darren Wright said:
Nice looking bench. Where did you find the plans at? Also, does the support peg board slide back and forth? Appears to, but wondering.

The "Support Peg Board" is in Roubo speak a "Dead Man". It does indeed slide back and forth and the 3/4" holes are for using hold fasts to clamp large panels to the front of the bench for edge planing. It works great for table tops and sides of case work.

The plan I used is Chris Schwartz's. It is available thru several Popular Woodworking publications. The book I have is "Hand Tool Essentials". I highly recommend that book to anyone looking for information on lots of hand tool topics. If you can only afford one book, I think that is the one to buy.

Very nicely done, Dennis! Very nice!

Has the bench required much flattening maintenance? Have the knots made any negative impact on it? Are you happy with the choice of vices? Hindsight being what it is what, if anything, would you have done differently?

Tom Becnel said:
Very nicely done, Dennis! Very nice!

Has the bench required much flattening maintenance? Have the knots made any negative impact on it? Are you happy with the choice of vices? Hindsight being what it is what, if anything, would you have done differently?

The wood I used was "wet". Rather typical construction grade, here anyway. So it moved around a bit the first year. Now that it has acclimated to my wood heated and summer air conditioned shop; it seems very stable. I just get out the #7 and touch it up now and then.

In the past, I have done strength testing with different glues and different woods, so I know that in reality it wasn't necessary; but after I glued up the top, I drilled 3/4" holes from front to back and dowelled the top. In two years, I have plained 1/8" off each end of the dowels. The top shrunk that much.

Because I didn't trust the glue or the dowels, I morticed 2x4's into the legs front to back, the top sits on them sandwiched by the through-morticed legs. All M&T joints are then dowelled. That sucker ain't ever comin' apart. Absolutely no wracking. It is essentially one piece.

The knots in the top!! That's another story. I was learning to use a fore plane when I made the bench. I tore some amazing chunks out. All fixed with epoxie/sawdust.

Regrets - None, for either the bench or the vice. I can't imagine a better designed work holding devise. It will be even better with my Moxon vise fronted bench on bench.

Last edited:
Dennis, have you added a tail vice? How's that work out without a tail vice for surface planing and hand cutting moulding n such? I have a crap bench with a melamine top for now (had to leave a very nice one in St Louis) but even it has a tail vise...?

Geez you making me anxious to start the new bench :) still waiting for the lumber to dry :(

Tom Becnel said:
Dennis, have you added a tail vice? How's that work out without a tail vice for surface planing and hand cutting moulding n such? I have a crap bench with a melamine top for now (had to leave a very nice one in St Louis) but even it has a tail vise...?

Geez you making me anxious to start the new bench :) still waiting for the lumber to dry :(

No tail vice. I use a couple of Veritas Wonder Dogs. They work well and are more flexible than an end vise.