Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Porter cable orbital sander caught fire

Whoa! I've had my belt sander start smoldering a bit when sharpening plane irons, as Ken did, but Chuck's idea of an electrical fault seems much more likely. Good thing it happened while you were there.
    Cheers,
    Roger

Everyone is a self-made person.

I am interested in what you find out.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    another question you say you were sanding poly between coats, is the poly solvent based or water based, if it was solvent based are you sure the poly was completly done out gassing before sanding. I have had poly on rags spontanously cumbust before just due to it being hot.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I wounder the same thing Don. Seems far fetched but who knows.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

That could be a possibility Don. I'm using Minwax fast drying polyurethane. On the can it says to let dry 3-4 hours, then lightly sand. When I sanded, it had been just over 4 hours and felt dry to the touch, and it was producing dust. I would think if it was a little wet yet that it would have balled up on me, but who knows. I'm getting ready to try a dry run with it and see if I get any sparks.

I'm using Minwax fast drying polyurethane. Water based or oil based?? If it's water based that not what caused this.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Sorry, it's solvent based. I ran the sander for awhile in the dark and didn't notice any sparks at all.

jake did you have the dust collector bag hooked to it? if so how do you expect to see sparks threw the paper or plastic container?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Larry, I took a 2x6 into the laundry room in my basement. There are no windows in there, so it was dark. I had the dust collection bag off and I sanded the board for about 10 min. I didn't see any sparks during that time.

well you got a mystery jake i wouldnt want to trust it though..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!