advise?

Well as we're in the middle of a bowl swap over at WTA. i drew a man that's a heck of a turner. I don't think my stuff will come close to what he'll make for me. I know he don't come here,so thought i'd seak out your help on this.I have the basic design i want,but think it needs more.What do you all think about adding some cat tails to the pond, or at least some swamp grass?Just think it needs something else. So if you can come up with a idea i would me thankfull.
Here's some pics of what i have so far.
Steve002 [800x600].JPG003 [800x600].JPG004 [800x600].JPG008 [800x600].JPG012 [800x600].JPG013 [800x600].JPG014 [800x600].JPG017 [800x600].JPG019 [800x600].JPG

steve, the bowl appears to be painted in the bowl part now, i would left it natural to show off the grain of the wood,, with the eagle on the edge i can see some dead trees or a fish near it. but then it become more fragil steve..sometimes good wood and simple is better than to much trim.. what about a lid to fit the bowl and take the paint out of it???

steve, the bowl appears to be painted in the bowl part now, i would left it natural to show off the grain of the wood,, with the eagle on the edge i can see some dead trees or a fish near it. but then it become more fragil steve..sometimes good wood and simple is better than to much trim.. what about a lid to fit the bowl and take the paint out of it???
Larry that's not paint it's dye, and real gloss finish just on the "pond".The rest will be knocked back so it's not so glossie. If you could see past the gloss you can see the grain.:)

Steve,

Like most good wood turners, you underestimate yourself. I can just see you going to a street fair and selling that wonderful bowl for $30 instead of what it is worth.

I think adding more to it would really be wrong. Adding more would cheapen it in my estimation. Be proud of it; you should be.

Do I need to come over there and bang some sense into your head? Please, be pleased with what you have done.

Enjoy,

JimB

Steve,

Like most good wood turners, you underestimate yourself. I can just see you going to a street fair and selling that wonderful bowl for $30 instead of what it is worth.

I think adding more to it would really be wrong. Adding more would cheapen it in my estimation. Be proud of it; you should be.

Do I need to come over there and bang some sense into your head? Please, be pleased with what you have done.

Enjoy,

JimB
Jim it's funny that you put that 30 dollar quote on your post,as that's the most i ever got for one of my pieces.:D I've been told i'm hard headed so you might need to bring a big hammer.:rofl:

Steve, I think I'm in the "leave it" camp, too, but I'm not sure. I'm trying to imagine how it would look with cattails or grass added, and I'm worried that it'd look too busy. Is there a way you could mock up the added vegetation without permanently attaching it, so you can see how it would look?

I do really like it as-is. I think Jerry will be proud to own it, too.

Steve, I think I'm in the "leave it" camp, too, but I'm not sure. I'm trying to imagine how it would look with cattails or grass added, and I'm worried that it'd look too busy. Is there a way you could mock up the added vegetation without permanently attaching it, so you can see how it would look?

Vaughn you had the same ides as me, about the mock up.:thumb: Thinking about some masking tape painted green ,and cut out to the shape i'm thinking. What ya all think,think it will pull off the lacquar?

If the lacquer has cured for a couple or three days, I think you should be fine putting masking tape on it, as long as you don't leave it on there for a couple of weeks.

I am in the current "leave it as is" camp .....and put my name on the lottery list to win this should the intended recipient not like it.

Jim it's funny that you put that 30 dollar quote on your post,as that's the most i ever got for one of my pieces.:D I've been told i'm hard headed so you might need to bring a big hammer.:rofl:

I have a couple 8 pound sledge hammers and an 8 pound axe. Is that enough incentive for you?
At $30 for your quality, you should be absolutely ashamed of yourself. Do me a favor; take one or two of your better pieces and put a $60 price on it/them. The worst that can happen is that you will not sell them. (If that happens, I will buy one of them.) The best is that you will find out that you are worth a heck (dang I wish I could swear here) of a lot more than you think you are.

Enjoy,

JimB

I really hate to disagree with Vaughn; especially since he has been real nice to me recently. However, I hate to see you waste your time making mock-up stuff that you are not going to like. It is great. Leave it alone!!!

Enjoy,

JimB

I guess Im all alone in my camp, because I dont understand your concern as to the par of your work compared to the par of the work you will get in the swap.

I hope if I ever do a flatwork swap I draw a guy with Maloof's talent and 40 more years experience than me.