How do I kill mushrooms?

Matt: You mentioned the white mycelium below ground. Well the little buggers are black on top now. They didn't stand up too well to a plasma torch. Gad those buggers do smoke (Wheeuuueeeyy). Before I was through I saw that caterpillar Ken mentioined. He had a cigar in his mouth and a "Cat In The Hat" hat on. I'm surprised one of the neighbors didn't come over to see what was cookin' or if I was fumigating.

Stephen: I have come back to this thread several times. I get a good laugh about Alice each time I do it.

Ted: The red "rock" is only a couple inches thick. However, the main manifestation is just across the thickness of a cedar fence from a neighbor's fruit tree. I doubt if the tree trunk is a foot from the fence.

I realize that the torch only did the tops. Does the bleach, Bayleton or the boric acid work down into the mycelium for a permanant kill?

Death to the invaders from outer wherever!

Enjoy,

JimB

Ted: The red "rock" is only a couple inches thick. However, the main manifestation is just across the thickness of a cedar fence from a neighbor's fruit tree. I doubt if the tree trunk is a foot from the fence.

Jim, The neighbors tree kinda throws a monkey wrench into the use of chemical controls. You might try a fungicide. Just make sure it won't hurt the tree. I had one of those red rock walks in our old house. It was a pain to maintain and got filled with leaves and tree debris. I tried to use my shop vac to keep it clean, but finally gave up. You might just have to resign yourself to hand picking these guys every spring.

Jim, The neighbors tree kinda throws a monkey wrench into the use of chemical controls. You might try a fungicide. Just make sure it won't hurt the tree. I had one of those red rock walks in our old house. It was a pain to maintain and got filled with leaves and tree debris. I tried to use my shop vac to keep it clean, but finally gave up. You might just have to resign yourself to hand picking these guys every spring.

That is really one of the saddest things I have heard in a long time. Those things do not part from the earth easily and I get several crops a year (however, this one is, by far, the largest so far). Also the red "rock" is porous and the pores have very sharp edges. Perhaps I should just concrete the whole thing under. If I was 50 years younger, that would be my first choice.

I wonder what ever happened to this romantic, laid back, life of Riley, leisurely, Southern California life style I have read about and seen in movies. Maybe I got switched to an alternate Universe somehow. I'll bet that's what happened and it was during one of those ground rolling earthquakes we are famous for.

Enjoy,

JimB

That is really one of the saddest things I have heard in a long time. Those things do not part from the earth easily and I get several crops a year (however, this one is, by far, the largest so far). Also the red "rock" is porous and the pores have very sharp edges. Perhaps I should just concrete the whole thing under. If I was 50 years younger, that would be my first choice.

I wonder what ever happened to this romantic, laid back, life of Riley, leisurely, Southern California life style I have read about and seen in movies. Maybe I got switched to an alternate Universe somehow. I'll bet that's what happened and it was during one of those ground rolling earthquakes we are famous for.

Enjoy,

JimB

:rofl: ***Alice didn't recommend 'anything' did she? :D

I agree with Ted & the proximity of the neighbors tree....my bleach tip should be passed on, unless of course it's one of those unbearable NN types, and you use the cover of darkness :whistling: ;)

Your concrete thought could still work....use some ready mix, work it down below the red rock with a broom or whatever works, then a slight watering might cure your problem via suffocation...not sure of the results, but it worked as a bonding agent for us a few years back, which made using the leaf blower/vac the easiest solution to keeping the twigs, leaves etc. out of the pathway.