Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incra Router Table

Incra Router Table

I probably have the biggest roun-to-it than anyone here. This project - not quite complete but almost there - took me quite a while to get to. The plate and fence set up has been sitting in a box under my bench for close to three years. But for what it is, it seems to be worth the wait.

I think the biggest reason it took me so long is space - I just don't have enough and didn't know what to do with a new router table in my shop. So I procrastinated and procrastinated and...

I think the big kick-starter for completing this though was a steel stand I got for free. So here it is.

This is a fold up steel table stand I got from a neighbor who was going to throw it away. Perfect I said. I knocked the plugs off the bottom of the legs and re-fitted my own plugs so I could attach some 2x4s on wheels.

I was only going to have a top but decided to put a shelf underneath and then again decided to put a cabinet in there. So here it is with the cabinet without any drawers or door fronts on. I also changed the position of the wheels so it will roll in and out of my shop easier.

Here it is with the top, which is 1 inch mdf laminated between two sheets of melamine plastic, and a wood border. I also installed a miter gauge track.

Making the template for this was not so difficult. As you may know the only tricky part was the corners. But for that I had a forstner bit that matched the radius of the corners.

The router plate from Woodpeckers fits nice and snug. No more bending down and wrapping my knuckles to change bits.

I bought one of these JessEm switches that have two plugs in the back. When I turn the router on the vacuum will come on at the same time.

Here is the general layout. I will put drawers in on the far left and one on the bottom under the router. Then I will close up the router compartment and put door fronts on the the other cabinet spaces. I still need to make some ports for the vacuum hosing.

And finally a pic of the top with the fully loaded Incra fence system. Love their products.
    Last edited by Alex Reid; 04-09-2012 at 08:20 AM.

That's going to take up some room but you've got some great storage space under it. Great job !!
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Looks great!

beautiful table, but what are you going to do if it rains and you have to work in the shop?
    Human Test Dummy

Nice looking table, Alex. I've been using an Incra system like yours for many years. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Very nice Alex. Thanks for sharing your design and thoughts. I know one thing, i will not complain about space in my shop ever again after seeing how yu and Stu have to get along. Have no idea how you going to work with this table inside the shop.
    cheers

Thanks guys. Yes it does take up quite a bit of space but I roll it outside and work. And if it rains and I really need to work I use tarps. And then again if it is really raining I often stay inside.

sorry alex, but by looking at the size of your work area, thats a huge router table.
    Human Test Dummy

Great looking table! Is that the LS27 or 32 Wonder fence? I've got the 27, I had to pull all the factory shimming out of it to try to line the fences up square. The outfeed side, upper half still needs to come out about 1/32" or so to stop the lower corner from catching. Is that the Incra table top/stand or one that you made yourself? I made my own (Beginners) router table to put the the fence on and I'm using the same Incra/Woodpecker lift that you are, my tables not anywhere near as nice as your! I see on your table you have a miter track slot, now I have a question for you. How far is it from the edge of your router lift to the edge of your track? That's one thing I have left to do to my table top. Again NICE looking table!

That came out great. Being mobile is going to make things easy. Router tables can be a sort of evolution for some of us. I added a wing to my contractor saw; wow. I moved the wing to my Hybrid and added dust collection; wow again. I built a cabinet under the table with better dust collection and storage for all the routing paraphernalia; wow yet again! You just went straight to the final "wow".
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke