I probably have the biggest roun-to-it than anyone here. This project - not quite complete but almost there - took me quite a while to get to. The plate and fence set up has been sitting in a box under my bench for close to three years. But for what it is, it seems to be worth the wait.
I think the biggest reason it took me so long is space - I just don't have enough and didn't know what to do with a new router table in my shop. So I procrastinated and procrastinated and...
I think the big kick-starter for completing this though was a steel stand I got for free. So here it is.
This is a fold up steel table stand I got from a neighbor who was going to throw it away. Perfect I said. I knocked the plugs off the bottom of the legs and re-fitted my own plugs so I could attach some 2x4s on wheels.
I was only going to have a top but decided to put a shelf underneath and then again decided to put a cabinet in there. So here it is with the cabinet without any drawers or door fronts on. I also changed the position of the wheels so it will roll in and out of my shop easier.
Here it is with the top, which is 1 inch mdf laminated between two sheets of melamine plastic, and a wood border. I also installed a miter gauge track.
Making the template for this was not so difficult. As you may know the only tricky part was the corners. But for that I had a forstner bit that matched the radius of the corners.
The router plate from Woodpeckers fits nice and snug. No more bending down and wrapping my knuckles to change bits.
I bought one of these JessEm switches that have two plugs in the back. When I turn the router on the vacuum will come on at the same time.
Here is the general layout. I will put drawers in on the far left and one on the bottom under the router. Then I will close up the router compartment and put door fronts on the the other cabinet spaces. I still need to make some ports for the vacuum hosing.
And finally a pic of the top with the fully loaded Incra fence system. Love their products.