Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stanley Transition Plane

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Tulk
    Stanley bought Mr. Bailey's patents in the mid 19th century. I think he worked as a foreman or designer for them afterwards. Most of the planes we use today are based on the Bailey design.
    Your correct, Roger. I was teasing Dennis with a rhetorical question for leaving out that tidbit, I knew it was a Bailey from the picture

I don't have the details of the "types" memorized for the iron body planes, let alone transitional ones.

I looked at "blood and gore" last night and learned that the 24's started at 8" then Stanley stretched them to 9".

He also stated that the transitional planes were marketed to carpenters for job site use as they are less breakable than iron body planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Ulrich
    I don't have the details of the "types" memorized for the iron body planes, let alone transitional ones.

I looked at "blood and gore" last night and learned that the 24's started at 8" then Stanley stretched them to 9".

He also stated that the transitional planes were marketed to carpenters for job site use as they are less breakable than iron body planes.
    Interesting.

I was going by the lever cap, haha. By no means a sure bet with all the frankenplanes but that style was pretty unique to early Bailey's.

I don't have the types memorized either, not by a long shot but I have a pretty decent timeline down based on design elements of the planes. I have to reference a type study to narrow it down past that.

So is it making curls yet? I'm 4 in of a dozen moulding planes I got Fri and and those are much more work to tune, lol

Haven't done anything with it yet. The sole needs flattening and the iron is due for a complete sharpening. I think it will make a nice little smoother.