Stanley Transition Plane

Dennis Ulrich

I found this Stanley #24 in Souix Falls this weekend. Another plane I didn't need but I can't resist Transitions at the right price.

Attachments

• image-3496845240.jpg
    image-3496845240.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 29
  • image-3474637551.jpg
    image-3474637551.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 30
Tom Becnel said:
Stanley or Bailey???

Nice plane there Dennis, wha'd ya have to give em for it?

It's stamped
"Bailey"
"Stanley Rule and Level Co"
"No 24"

Measures 8" long x 2 7/16" wide and the wood is 1 7/16" thick. It is early enough to use wood screws to fasten the frog. No brass inserts.

I had to lay down $30 for it. It was too pretty to leave behind.

Pretty nice plane. Nearly a full length blade, too.

I like that style, but using one for very long generally abrades the web of my hand (thumb/forefinger) to the point of blistering or blood. For that reason, I like the razee style transitionals, like the 35. I get a lot of argument, but I really do think the transitionals got the best of both worlds (wood or iron) wrapped up into one package.

Dennis Ulrich said:
It's stamped
"Bailey"
"Stanley Rule and Level Co"
"No 24"

Measures 8" long x 2 7/16" wide and the wood is 1 7/16" thick. It is early enough to use wood screws to fasten the frog. No brass inserts.

I had to lay down $30 for it. It was too pretty to leave behind.

:smile: nice!

Roger Tulk said:
Stanley bought Mr. Bailey's patents in the mid 19th century. I think he worked as a foreman or designer for them afterwards. Most of the planes we use today are based on the Bailey design.

Your correct, Roger. I was teasing Dennis with a rhetorical question for leaving out that tidbit, I knew it was a Bailey from the picture :)

I don't have the details of the "types" memorized for the iron body planes, let alone transitional ones.

I looked at "blood and gore" last night and learned that the 24's started at 8" then Stanley stretched them to 9".

He also stated that the transitional planes were marketed to carpenters for job site use as they are less breakable than iron body planes.

Dennis Ulrich said:
I don't have the details of the "types" memorized for the iron body planes, let alone transitional ones.

I looked at "blood and gore" last night and learned that the 24's started at 8" then Stanley stretched them to 9".

He also stated that the transitional planes were marketed to carpenters for job site use as they are less breakable than iron body planes.

Interesting.

I was going by the lever cap, haha. By no means a sure bet with all the frankenplanes but that style was pretty unique to early Bailey's.

I don't have the types memorized either, not by a long shot but I have a pretty decent timeline down based on design elements of the planes. I have to reference a type study to narrow it down past that.

So is it making curls yet? I'm 4 in of a dozen moulding planes I got Fri and and those are much more work to tune, lol

Haven't done anything with it yet. The sole needs flattening and the iron is due for a complete sharpening. I think it will make a nice little smoother.