Participated Quick Link

Bill Satko

I have Tapatalk on my phone and one of features that I really like is that it has three tabs which represent searches; Unread, All and Participated. The Participated gives me all the threads that I have posted on. I think having a quick link called Participated that would bring up all threads that I have posted to, the latest first, would be great. Is that possible?

I just want to correct what the "Participated" search is. It is a search of new posts from only those threads that I have participated (posted) in.

As a recent tapatalk convertee... I'm sold in a big way.

Bill, what you describe is pretty much how the Participated tab works right out of the box. No need for switches to be flipped on the forum end at all. It is a settings thing in Tapatalk itself. My itouch is upstairs, so I'm describing from memory, but if I recall correctly that's how it works.

Hi,

To see all of the posts you have made. The most recent first. All you have to do is click your name by your avitar. A box comes up showing: View profile, Personal Messages, View Forum Posts, etc. All you have to do is click on "View Forum Posts" and they magically appear.

OR

You can go to the search box (it is on the right end of the line that has tabs for Forum, New Posts, Calendar, etc.). Type in your name as it appears next to your avitar. You will get the list of all threads and posts that you have participated in. They will appear with most recent first.

Enjoy,

JimB

Last edited:
Not sure Bill, I'm sure we can come up with something though...give me a few days. Just got home a few minutes ago and got a busy day tomorrow and Thursday.

Darren, I suggest we see if any others see any value in this before you do anything. Besides I realize you have a life outside this forum.:D

Hi,

To see all of the posts you have made. The most recent first. All you have to do is click your name by your avitar. A box comes up showing: View profile, Personal Messages, View Forum Posts, etc. All you have to do is click on "View Forum Posts" and they magically appear.

OR

You can go to the search box (it is on the right end of the line that has tabs for Forum, New Posts, Calendar, etc.). Type in your name as it appears next to your avitar. You will get the list of all threads and posts that you have participated in. They will appear with most recent first.

Enjoy,

JimB

Jim, I am familiar with everything you pointed out, but this is a different thing. It is a search that brings up all new unread posts only from threads I have participated or posted in. The benefit in this search is it bring up only those new posts that I am expecting some response on or have a demonstrated interest in because I posted in it. It would not necessary bring up all my posts which would just add a lot of clutter.

Dang it all. I finally get a chance to act like a techie instead of a doofus and ...

Your idea sounds great. I have my e-mail inform me of all action on threads and posts I have participated in. That creates a lot of clutter also; it is not rare for me to have a hundred notifications. I only do this for FWW.

I can reply through my e-mail. What really happens there is that the email puts me into FWW at that particular post.

I do delete them wholesale. There is a box to mark all items on one page (ten of them); I click it and then un-click the one or two on the page that I want to actually work with.

So No Techie Bradley says, "Enjoy."

JimB

As a recent tapatalk convertee... I'm sold in a big way.

Bill, what you describe is pretty much how the Participated tab works right out of the box. No need for switches to be flipped on the forum end at all. It is a settings thing in Tapatalk itself. My itouch is upstairs, so I'm describing from memory, but if I recall correctly that's how it works.

I'm pretty certain Bill is talking about getting that particular Tapatalk functionality in the browser-based version. Good thing we have Darren (and Brent) here, because I'd have no idea how to set this up.

"Quick Links", then "Subscribed Threads" brings up a list of threads in which you have posted in the order of the most recent posting date/time.

"Quick Links", then "Subscribed Threads" brings up a list of threads in which you have posted in the order of the most recent posting date/time.

That is only if you subscribe to threads. I don't so I only have a couple that show up in the list.

This will have to be some kind of plugin or something we code, it requires the user id for your account, which has to be computed when the page is built.

In the Meantime, while we work on things, you could create your own favorites link that looks something like this.I made this one for Bill, whose ID Number is 198. To find your number, Look at the top of the screen where it displays your name and hover your mouse over that and copy the link address. You should see something like ...member.php?1513-Brent-DowellThat number right after the question mark is your id number. Simply replace the 198 below (bills id) with your own and you too can have your very own participated link.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums...=198&starteronly=0&contenttype=vBForum_Thread

Ok, so you'll need to copy that link and paste it in your browser to see it and change it, but it should work until we come up with a 'magic' link for all of us.

Last edited:
Jim, I am familiar with everything you pointed out, but this is a different thing. It is a search that brings up all new unread posts only from threads I have participated or posted in. The benefit in this search is it bring up only those new posts that I am expecting some response on or have a demonstrated interest in because I posted in it. It would not necessary bring up all my posts which would just add a lot of clutter.

Dang it all. I finally get a chance to act like a techie instead of a doofus and ...

Your idea sounds great. I have my e-mail inform me of all action on threads and posts I have participated in. That creates a lot of clutter also; it is not rare for me to have a hundred notifications. I only do this for FWW.

I can reply through my e-mail. What really happens there is that the email puts me into FWW at that particular post.

I do delete them wholesale. There is a box to mark all items on one page (ten of them); I click it and then un-click the one or two on the page that I want to actually work with.

So No Techie Bradley says, "Enjoy."

JimB

Well Jim, it seems as though you might be right and I was wrong. Tapatalk actually pulls all the threads that I participated in, but not as threads but posts with the newest first. It is a different look that allows me to quickly read the responses. I still think having a quick link similar to the search that Brent built would be more interesting than the "Subscribed" quick link, at least for me, as I don't subscribe.

In the Meantime, while we work on things, you could create your own favorites link that looks something like this.I made this one for Bill, whose ID Number is 198. To find your number, Look at the top of the screen where it displays your name and hover your mouse over that and copy the link address. You should see something like ...member.php?1513-Brent-DowellThat number right after the question mark is your id number. Simply replace the 198 below (bills id) with your own and you too can have your very own participated link.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums...=198&starteronly=0&contenttype=vBForum_Thread

Ok, so you'll need to copy that link and paste it in your browser to see it and change it, but it should work until we come up with a 'magic' link for all of us.

Well, I hovered and did not see anything, but I trust you that I am 198 as the search works. Does this mean that I was the 198th member. Who is no 1? Vaughn?

With the help of Brent's link I think I got something working. Check under the "Quick Link" main menu tab, click the "Participated In" link. It should show what you were wanting.

Last edited:
Well, I hovered and did not see anything, but I trust you that I am 198 as the search works. Does this mean that I was the 198th member. Who is no 1? Vaughn?

Yep, you're member #198 (I just double-checked). I'm #2...the #1 account is a special Admin account that I created when I first set things up. We only use that account when we need something beyond our typical Admin superpowers. :D

I did a test just now. I posted in the 'Thermally Modified Wood' thread a short while ago. It shows up under 'Quick Links" in 'Subscribed Threads' but not on 'Participated In'. I have my 'General Settings' 'Default Thread Sub mode' set to 'Through my control panel only'.

Edit: I checked again and now that thread shows in both lists. Is there a delay for some reason?

Last edited: