Hackberry

I've never worked it, but I've been told it works like pecan which can be difficult as it has interlocking grain and likes to tear out with hand tools. I've seen pictures of cabinetry built from Hackberry and it was very pretty. Just from what I've seen of it finished, it would be worth it to me to grab those logs, but I've also got a good friend with his own mill and solar kiln.

I had many times I wanted to use hackberry, as it's root were clogging up the sewer line and causing my basement in my old house to flood. Sadly to say, I never got around to trimming it off at the ground as my wife would not let me. :D

hackberry.jpg
rex dont listen to FRANK his head is still dizzy from his turnings.. its not like oak, it looks like a ash with some greenish to gray heart wood its realitly soft but not as soft as butternut i got some drawers made from it and made a box once with some in it.. get it cut into lumber its worht the time to do so it spalts great too.. alittle fuzzy when sanding but pretty stable and strong.

Last edited:
One issue with Hackberry is that the heartwood is relatively small in diameter to the sapwood. It takes a big tree to get the nice colored heartwood. At least this is true with the trees I have seen in Michigan. The exception is when you allow it to spalt then you can get nice black lines in the white wood.