Thread: Guilds

Guilds

I attended my first Guild meeting for a local group for the first in many years. Always inspirational to meet with those local to you and as always, the personalities you meet always make you feel like you've been there for years.

I'd like to have gotten some pics of the work I saw, everything was amazing, but the lights were dimmed as they had a live video fed to a large projection screen so those with mobility issues could easily see what was the focus of discussion. Obviously they were a seasoned group and they knew the needs of the audience, so I applaud them.

This meeting they took care of guild business first, then filled the first half with a member project show case, where each of the members explained the processes and materials involved in their project. We had one safety reminder from the first presentation of a glove that was chewed up as well as a fresh bandage on a finger from surgery.

A local cabinet shop was closing it's doors and came to offer sale of tools and materials to the guild and its members before going public with their sale of items.

At break, cookies and coffee were served.

After the break many members had brought jigs to share and explain their uses, as well as a few processes.

Overall had a great time and left with a lot of great ideas.

Just curious what others experience in meetings with their local groups and what we can learn from each other?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

No experience yet Darren but I'm going to do some research today and see if there are any in my area. Sounds like something that would be lots of fun
    Faith, Hope & Charity

used to go to one a few years ago but it was to far to drive a hour plus one way,, it was ok but not great, i think now i have more free time maybe i should do some checking for a closer one..the one i was at spent to much time on business and not enough on the wood working part.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Larry anything you can do to network is helpful.

I love it when I meet with such a group.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

I was Secretary of our club when I still lived in Florida. It was a good bunch of folks and I enjoyed the meetings. Unfortunately, I haven't found any clubs within a reasonable distance of where we live now.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hawksford View Post
    Larry anything you can do to network is helpful.

I love it when I meet with such a group.
    +1 Excellent suggestion!

A few months ago I was looking and hadn't come across this one and had thought of just starting my own group locally, which might be an option for some of you that don't have one close by. I was looking at using Meetup and just meeting at a local coffee shop or someplace a small group could talk.

This one isn't one of the largest, but it's been going since 1990. I had asked about doing group builds for charities, but they have gotten away from it. They said they had an issue several years back and the liability of it made it prohibitive to do, so they just do raffles and give cash donations anymore.

The largest in the area actually rents their own space and has a shop full of large tools and such. For as little as $75 a year, a member can use the shop during "open" shop time (after being safety certified on each tool). They bring in folks from most of the major tool companies and woodworking celebrities to give demonstrations and classes.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

wow sounds like you got a good one darren if i had that kind of place near me i would jump at the chance to get some new ideas and involvement going..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

The local one here has almost 500 members, but I don't think even a third are all that active. I attend most of the woodturner's "specialty group" meetings but have yet to go to one of the "full group" meetings. We meet at the Woodsmith Store and have access to all the tools in the seminar room for demos and such. A membership also get's you discounts at quite a few local and couple of national vendors. There are quite a few members that get together to build things for various charities. I've learned quite a bit thru the group and my dad has made some good friends at the woodturner's meetings.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website