Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flat screen TVs...which one do you like and why???

We have a year and a half old 50" Samsung plasma that is energy star rated. Great picture and gives of some heat. We also have a 32" Vizio LCD, from Wal-Mart, that does a pretty good job. Not a good as the Samsung, but I really didn't expect it to be. We had problems with the Samsung, at about 4 months, in that for no reason it would shut itself off. I called the warranty number and described the problem. They had to order parts based on my description and no examination of the unit. In 4 days they show up and replace 2 circuit boards. Things went well for about 6 days and the problem reoccurred. Another call; another wait for parts and another visit. This time they replace 2 more circuit boards--one of which contained the screen. The other contained the switch. They said that except for the speakers, frame and stand we had a totally new tv. No problems since.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Just got back from doing the visual test at Best Buy and Sears. Neither had the Sony model I was looking at, but I had pretty much decided feature wise that the Samsung was what I would prefer as long as the picture was going to be equal. The lower model Sony did look very nice, but not better than the Samsung unit. LOML finally relented and said I could get the 55" unit and mentioned that it is less than the puppy in my avatar. Sol I just placed the order for it. Samsung UN55D7000 for 1549.00. I heard of a great deal on the 8000 model of the same size TV, but the poster never came back with where his friend purchased it from. It would have been 100.00 more, but would have had 2 sets of the 3D glasses as well as being an upgrade in features. But I loved the way this one looked in person, so I think I'll be a happy camper. Now to wait to see how long it takes to get it here. The free shipping said 10 to 14 days. Almost as good as getting the cabinet saw 2 years ago!!!! Thanks for your comments and insight. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

I am in a similar happy position as Jim. We got notice that some company I didn't even know existed had money from a long forgotten mortage we had and went bankrupt. So, we will be getting a check. I almost didn't even respond to the letter. It said "sign here and we will send you money". Sure. But the postmark wasn't Nigeria so I researched and found it is legit.
    Yes, I'll be shopping for a flat screen also. My understanding is that the various types (LED, LCD, XYZ, whatever) aren't even identified anymore because the differences have been engineered out. There is a dizzying variety at Wal-Mart and it is hard to find differences in the picture quality. In the past, we have usually ended up with Sanyo brand. Japanese owned, American/Arkansas built. Good quality and often best price. I'll start my shopping and research when that unexpected check arrives.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Got the new TV today. Ended up with the LG. The picture is far superior to the Sanyo I had planned to get. Besides, Wal-Mart didn't have the Sanyo in stock. They sell as fast as the store gets them. The LG was about $100.00 more than the Sanyo. Our "found" money paid most of it and I dug into my 'play money' fund for the rest. It gives a great pic. Set-up was a bit of a frustration but that is almost part of the routine with anything these days. Color of the inputs is different than the colors of the jacks. The stand is really El Cheapo plastic and set isn't level. I had to prop with scrap wood at one end. So far, after ten minutes of view, I would say it is a fine TV and am happy with the purchase. Now, to figure out all the options.........

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Congrats, Frank. TVs sure have improved in the past few years, huh?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Congrats Frank. Good use of wood scrap.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Congrats Frank! The one I ordered went back order. Thought they would get some more in in 2-3 weeks. I got itchy last night knowing this is last years model and the new ones are out. I cancelled the order and ordered it at another site for 45.00 more, but they have it in stock. So it will ship out tomorrow. Coming freight, hopefully FedEx freight, but we'll see. Will probably be Friday before I get tracking information. Enjoy your LG! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Congrats, Frank. TVs sure have improved in the past few years, huh?
    Yes. The picture is phenomonal. There are some optional settings I still need to dope out but that will get done soon. They even included a DVD owners manual.
    Interesting side note: My wife easily could qualify as the world's least observant person. I put in the TV while she wasn't home. After several hours of viewing last night she never noticed I had replaced the set. I was nearly ready to explode laughing when I finally broke down and pointed it out to her. I guess she likes.

Just thought I'd update. I did get the TV from the second company. Came in in perfect shape, and works great! I love the picture. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3131 Pentatonix.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	67337 It arrived about noon last Sat. I'm still learning and getting it all set up. Need to invest in a Harmony remote to control all the items from one remote. Haven't watched a 3D movie yet, but got a starter kit from Best Buy for the 2011 3D units on close out for 69.95. Has 2 pair of glasses and 5 3D movies. All 4 Shrek movies and the Mastermind movie. Not what I would pick on my own, but should be fun to watch once and have for kids that visit. Still need to figure out all the SmartHub functions and get online from the TV and see how that works. The above picture was a video in my laptop hooked through the A/V receiver to the TV. Works great. Makes for a giant computer screen if needed. Oh, and if you've wondered about the last line in my sig file below....this is Pentatonix. Pretty amazing a capella group.
    Thanks again for your thoughts and experiences in the thread. I appreciate them all. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!