Flat screen TVs...which one do you like and why???

Jim O'Dell

Well, it looks like the LOML is going to allow me to use some of the IRS return for a new TV. I had been totally against Plasma units from the negative hype that has permeated tv talk the past few years. But research shows that the image burn in and low life issues have been dealt with. LCD with LED back lighting is what I really thought I wanted. But now I don't know. I've been looking at the Sony KDL-xxHX729 and Samsung UNDxxD7000 series in the LCD/LED category, and in the Plasma, the Samsung PxxD7000 and Panasonic TC-PxxST30 series. Of course I want the biggest I can get for the price range I'm willing to spend. I'd like to keep it around 1500. Could stretch a little if it gets me a bigger unit. Pricing seems to be up considerably since Christmas time, even late January. With new models being introduced, I thought I'd see some price reductions, but nothing showing yet.
I'm open to suggestions, even other brands. I don't care about the sound as I will be using a surround sound system with it and the built in speakers won't be used at all. But I'm not keen on LG products, and the reported problems with TV's burning up in the last year didn't sway my opinion any. Prefer to stay with major brands for ease of repair. The last two tube TV's I've purchased have been Sony, and have lasted great. Two in about 32 years, with the last one still working great. But it's time to move onward and upward.
Thanks for any insight you can offer. Jim.
[h=1][/h]

I have an older plasma, 2004 I think. Never had any burn in problems. I don't have any complaints on it, been a great tv with a good viewing angle and good contrast. Mine is a pioneer elite, I like the samsungs a lot too. Im not familiar with the models you mentioned, but Sony snd panasonic have been making great flat panels for years too.

Life is tradeoffs. The plasmas are brighter so if you're in a well lit room they'd generally be my preference. They also have a "better" black and viewing angle. The LED LCD's generally have a crisper picture. I'd probably try and go look at them and decide which one I liked the look of better at this point, functionally.. technology is amazing nowdays :D

I have a plasma. Bought it maybe 3 or 4 years ago. No burn in problems at all. I like it better than my daughters LCD. The viewing angle is better and there is less washout from the sun that shines in from the sliding doors next to it. It's a Sony 48" I think.

Jim this is a product segment that has turned into a total commodity.

There was a time when i would have gone with a good brand and it would have been Sony or way back it would have been Philips.
But i have revised my thinking on this sector completely.
The technology is evolving and pricing so fluid and competitive that i would be looking today at biggest bang for my buck no brand or techie hook like (led, plasma,lcd or whatever).
Do the basics but set your sights on shorter life span and factor that point into the issue way more than any of us did in the past.

Eaxample, you have a budget of $1500 right now. Well halve it, put the other half in a stand alone bank account and by a set for that amount. Then in time to come as things change again you will be able to buy again.

Just consider some of the media trends emerging for what was our tv life in prior years.
We are seeing this device become way more of an interface for our visual look in on the happenings on the web.

Dont go letting the tech side of this as in pic quality get too much of a hook or say in this choice. In my view that is exactly where the marketing hype wants to take us to take more coin off your table.

As the roll out of fibre continues to go all the way to a home doorstep in order to allow former hard wired copper telecoms cos to compete with wireless, the tv broadcasting industry has changed. The web pipe is the new medium and the window to it our tv set. In my view its going to have that interface to fibre built in and way more like blue tooth gadget interface etc.

Getting hooked in now at huge dollar all devoted to image will leave you dissapointed in a short while.

Size is something i think one also needs to consider relative to viewing area size.

Other elements i would be watching for is number if external hdmi inputs, network interface ie this is really set to be a huge monitor with built in computer.
I would want to see more splitting of the screen layout as a standard feature. With even the ability to change resolutions in those segments.

We are evolving into multi tasking multi interest animals and this device will evolve to adapt to meet that need. Just as they have in the past.

Worth thinking about this. Sony corp has just announced huge losses. The division where they have the biggest bleed that has not been profitable for past 8 years is their tv division.
To break away from a commodity price slide, which all these brands have been suffering, strategically they need to come up with features that are going to strategically differentiate them in the market place and make them the "sought after" product offering the consumer wants.
Just screen quality and size on their own dont do it anymore.

Well that is at least in my opinion. YMMV.

Times are tough bank some if that refund and spend it cautiously. :)

Much of my view came from watching a buddy go through this and see his "ultimate tv" half in cost in less than a year and the latest model has more for less. :)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

For our family room update, we chose an LG 55" LCD/LED after much research. Consumer Reports ranks LG among the top choices. It has a 178° viewing angle and we have no problem viewing it during bright, sunny days; the back windows have no blinds, so we get lots of daylight in the room. I opted not to get the model that includes the 'Smart TV' functions; it was cheaper to get that functionality in the LG Blu-Ray player. We've had our system set up since December and are very satisfied with it.

To finish our system, I chose the Bose CineMate® GS Series II digital sound system. It's a little pricey, but worth it!

Last edited:
The technology is evolving and pricing so fluid and competitive that i would be looking today at biggest bang for my buck no brand or techie hook like (led, plasma,lcd or whatever).
Do the basics but set your sights on shorter life span and factor that point into the issue way more than any of us did in the past.

Great observation Rob and I could not agree more. The rest of your post was also spot on, but I am trying to conserve bandwidth. :) Sometimes it is not smart to buy the latest and greatest.

Yeah, I personally could care less about 3-D, but the nice ones all have it now. Most of the units I'm looking at have 4 HDMI inputs, but again, that doesn't do anything for me as my receiver has 6 HDMI and 5 composite inputs. I already hook my laptop into it to play music even though my current TV won't display the video part of it. The built in cabinets that I will be building will have places for all the equipment and a power hook up/charging station for the laptop so I can stream internet to the TV whether it has the built in capability or not. I'd love to be able to get a monitor only, but I want something bigger than the computer monitors. :p
Thanks for the input so far. I'll take it all into consideration. Oh, and I didn't know Sony made a plasma...do they still? Jim.

buy as big as you can afford, a decent set, sharp , sony, samsung, they are all great brands and theres lemons in each brand.
there is no such thing as too big when it comes to flat screen tvs.

I owned a bmw, which back in the 90s, got one of the best reviews for imports in its size. the car was in the shop so much bmw had to have their master mechanic look at it when he was in the US.
and Ive owned a 1975 chevy vega with the aluminum engine, which was considered a horrible piece of junk, and that car was never in the shop, and I drove it up and down the east coast for 10 years.
so much for research and opinions of all the pros.

Last edited:
We have a year and a half old 50" Samsung plasma that is energy star rated. Great picture and gives of some heat. We also have a 32" Vizio LCD, from Wal-Mart, that does a pretty good job. Not a good as the Samsung, but I really didn't expect it to be. We had problems with the Samsung, at about 4 months, in that for no reason it would shut itself off. I called the warranty number and described the problem. They had to order parts based on my description and no examination of the unit. In 4 days they show up and replace 2 circuit boards. Things went well for about 6 days and the problem reoccurred. Another call; another wait for parts and another visit. This time they replace 2 more circuit boards--one of which contained the screen. The other contained the switch. They said that except for the speakers, frame and stand we had a totally new tv. No problems since.

Just got back from doing the visual test at Best Buy and Sears. Neither had the Sony model I was looking at, but I had pretty much decided feature wise that the Samsung was what I would prefer as long as the picture was going to be equal. The lower model Sony did look very nice, but not better than the Samsung unit. LOML finally relented and said I could get the 55" unit and mentioned that it is less than the puppy in my avatar. :eek: Sol I just placed the order for it. Samsung UN55D7000 for 1549.00. I heard of a great deal on the 8000 model of the same size TV, but the poster never came back with where his friend purchased it from. It would have been 100.00 more, but would have had 2 sets of the 3D glasses as well as being an upgrade in features. But I loved the way this one looked in person, so I think I'll be a happy camper. Now to wait to see how long it takes to get it here. The free shipping said 10 to 14 days. Almost as good as getting the cabinet saw 2 years ago!!!! Thanks for your comments and insight. Jim.

I am in a similar happy position as Jim. We got notice that some company I didn't even know existed had money from a long forgotten mortage we had and went bankrupt. So, we will be getting a check. :D I almost didn't even respond to the letter. It said "sign here and we will send you money". Sure. But the postmark wasn't Nigeria so I researched and found it is legit.
Yes, I'll be shopping for a flat screen also. My understanding is that the various types (LED, LCD, XYZ, whatever) aren't even identified anymore because the differences have been engineered out. There is a dizzying variety at Wal-Mart and it is hard to find differences in the picture quality. In the past, we have usually ended up with Sanyo brand. Japanese owned, American/Arkansas built. Good quality and often best price. I'll start my shopping and research when that unexpected check arrives.

Got the new TV today. Ended up with the LG. The picture is far superior to the Sanyo I had planned to get. Besides, Wal-Mart didn't have the Sanyo in stock. They sell as fast as the store gets them. The LG was about $100.00 more than the Sanyo. Our "found" money paid most of it and I dug into my 'play money' fund for the rest. It gives a great pic. Set-up was a bit of a frustration but that is almost part of the routine with anything these days. Color of the inputs is different than the colors of the jacks. :huh: The stand is really El Cheapo plastic and set isn't level. I had to prop with scrap wood at one end. So far, after ten minutes of view, I would say it is a fine TV and am happy with the purchase. Now, to figure out all the options.........

Congrats Frank! The one I ordered went back order. Thought they would get some more in in 2-3 weeks. I got itchy last night knowing this is last years model and the new ones are out. I cancelled the order and ordered it at another site for 45.00 more, but they have it in stock. So it will ship out tomorrow. Coming freight, hopefully FedEx freight, but we'll see. Will probably be Friday before I get tracking information. Enjoy your LG! Jim.

Congrats, Frank. :thumb: TVs sure have improved in the past few years, huh?

Yes. The picture is phenomonal. There are some optional settings I still need to dope out but that will get done soon. They even included a DVD owners manual.
Interesting side note: My wife easily could qualify as the world's least observant person. I put in the TV while she wasn't home. After several hours of viewing last night she never noticed I had replaced the set. I was nearly ready to explode laughing when I finally broke down and pointed it out to her. I guess she likes.

Just thought I'd update. I did get the TV from the second company. Came in in perfect shape, and works great! I love the picture. DSCN3131 Pentatonix.jpg It arrived about noon last Sat. I'm still learning and getting it all set up. Need to invest in a Harmony remote to control all the items from one remote. Haven't watched a 3D movie yet, but got a starter kit from Best Buy for the 2011 3D units on close out for 69.95. Has 2 pair of glasses and 5 3D movies. All 4 Shrek movies and the Mastermind movie. Not what I would pick on my own, but should be fun to watch once and have for kids that visit. Still need to figure out all the SmartHub functions and get online from the TV and see how that works. The above picture was a video in my laptop hooked through the A/V receiver to the TV. Works great. Makes for a giant computer screen if needed. Oh, and if you've wondered about the last line in my sig file below....this is Pentatonix. Pretty amazing a capella group.
Thanks again for your thoughts and experiences in the thread. I appreciate them all. Jim.