Banding glue

Bill McQueen

I made some inlay banding the other day and had some segments come loose. It might have just soaked the glue up to fast starving the joint or I'm wondering if yellow glue is the best product. I saw online someone using Titebond polyurethane is this the better choose maybe?

i believe that yelo glue is sufficient, and i dont like polyurethane glue at all..check out alex reids thread on the guitar build i believe he used yelo glue as well

I made some tables a year or so ago and they wanted them on the cheap and fast so I used plywood rather then glue up for the top and the skirt. I then used yellow glue to fasten on the edge banding I checked them a few weeks ago and they are still good to go.

There is some real scientific discussion on gluing one surface or both with PVA somewhere. I still dance on the line between adequate glue and avoiding too much squeeze-out. I do believe I fear a starved/failed joint more than squeeze out.

Maybe try putting a thin transparent layer of glue on both pieces. Then give it plenty of cure time.

This is written 4-29-1012. I found it with a "Search" for glue.

FWW had an excellent thread about glue. This was a year or two ago. I am going to try and find it. I used the last drop of my Tightbond Original this morning. I want to try something else. It just plain old sets up too fast for me. Otherwise it seems to be a great glue. I have been using it at least 5 years with no problems except it is too fast for me.

Anyway the main thing I remembered was that you put glue on both surfaces. Reason: The wood absorbs some of the glue when it is applied. The not-glued side does not have the glue absorbed down in to it as much/well. Thus the bond is weaker on one side of the glue joint than on the other side.

Enjoy,

JimB