Nice chair but $14000...

Mohammad,

I hate to disagree with you. However, in my opinion we have FWW members who make furniture that looks MUCH better than that. To me, it is gaudy. I have never been in one to check it out, however the chair makes me think of a bordello.

I do concede that the lines are smooth and visually comfortable---But Not that wood; at least not in a piece of furniture. I would not give you $14.00 for it if I had to use it.

Sorry.

Enjoy,

JimB

14000 bucks for a reproduction, with the only added value of having used a rare wood and not in the best way IMHO is overkill.

I wonder if Sam's heirs could sue this guy for using his name and fame as part of the advertisement.

shoot for the stars, whats the harm in asking.
at least hes not selling something that he spent weeks on and is happy charging an equivalent of 3 dollars an hour for labor claiming he just does it for hobby money.

Mohammad,

I hate to disagree with you. However, in my opinion we have FWW members who make furniture that looks MUCH better than that. To me, it is gaudy. I have never been in one to check it out, however the chair makes me think of a bordello.

I do concede that the lines are smooth and visually comfortable---But Not that wood; at least not in a piece of furniture. I would not give you $14.00 for it if I had to use it.
JimB

Jim, I do agree with you to some extent. Sam's original design was great and it was well executed by the maker of the chair. However, the wood does distract the viewer's attention away from the beautiful design and workmanship. This chair is good enough to be conversation piece but I do realize that it is not to everyone's taste.

By comparison, a similar chair on page 83 of the June 2012 Finewoodworking magazine looks much more balanced and visually appealing.

The price asked is, well, confident? The wood is indeed gaudy. What I find most disingenuous is his disclaimer as this not being a piece that Sam made, but clearly his longish dissertation on Sam Maloof is meant to trade on Sam's reputation. THAT I find offensive.

The price asked is, well, confident? The wood is indeed gaudy. What I find most disingenuous is his disclaimer as this not being a piece that Sam made, but clearly his longish dissertation on Sam Maloof is meant to trade on Sam's reputation. THAT I find offensive.

I agree!

Ugh-lee chair. Not the design, but the use of contrasting wood.
As for the price and the hype, pure rip-off.

Just one question for Jim B. Sir, are you admitting that you know what the inside of a bordello looks like? Sorry, I couldn't restrain myself.