Whats the difference?

John French

Grain Filler & Glaze.

Sanding Sealer.

I thought the sanding sealer filled the voids as well. If they are about the same. What would you recomend? What are the differences?

Grain Filler is going to be thicker than sanding sealer, it's more of a putty. Sanding sealer will seal the pores so that stains and colorants won't highlight the pores. It also raises the grain and often contains an additive to make sanding it flat easier. The object of a grain filler is more for hiding the the pores, they come in different colors for this purpose. Glaze is a colorant that you add after the project has been sealed. I use it a lot to add an aged patina to a project, especially carvings.

What are you trying to do? Any recommendation will depend on your goal.

My next project is a crib and cradle. But i was asking more as a general question. Can you use solvent base with a water base finish or should you stick to one type of solvent base. Same question for stain. Do they all have to be of one type or can you mix and match?

I've used solvent based finishes over water based stains and dyes without any problem. You just have to make sure everything is dry. The newer water based finishes are supposed to be able to go over solvent based stuff, but I have no personal experience trying that. I'm just starting to mess with the water based stuff, I like my solvent based lacquer, but it sure is stinky. If there's any doubt, you can use dewaxed shellac as a coat between two differing finishes. It sticks to just about everything and just about everything sticks to it.

Mark has it right - Solvent based over water stain or dye, not an issue. Water base over solvent, somewhat risky. If the solvent based stain or dye seems dry in a half day, you ought to allow several days to be really dry before coating with water base finish. Or a barrier coat of dewaxed shellac works as a separator - sticks to anything and anything sticks to it. Although I don't use much stain/dye, I primarily tint my water based finishes, and avoid the issue.

Thanks for the replys. I'v learned alot. I would think i would use the same over the same. But one never knows as dumb as i am i could start with the different base with out even knowing till cleanup.