Genius or complete waste?

Is this a genius piece of work? Or a waste of a big burl?

Well, since I have not seen the end result, I have no idea. Since he has spent three days roughing, plus ??? days getting it cut and to his shop, it doggone well better have some financial rewards or it is a waste of a big burl.

I think I will mount one of those on my Delta 46-460 and try it next week. Maybe then I can give you a better answer.

Enjoy,

JimB

Last edited:
This just a bookmark so I'll remember to check these videos out at home...;)

Jim, you might want to upgrade the bolts holding your lathe to the bench before you chuck one of these up. ::D

Don't get me wrong, I'm impressed.

I just wonder if 'burl' is the best material acoustically. I also wonder if you'd need 2 to get stereo? Except for Subwoofers, I thought you generally got 'pairs' of speakers?

Seems like an awful lot of that burl is ending up as shavings as well.

I just wonder if 'burl' is the best material acoustically. I also wonder if you'd need 2 to get stereo? Except for Subwoofers, I thought you generally got 'pairs' of speakers?

Seems like an awful lot of that burl is ending up as shavings as well.

I wonder the same thing acoustically, seems like all those voids would be problematic. Perhaps with the correct treatment it would be ok. It also looks like it was left pretty thick at the base of the cone. I know close to nothing about speaker design though so maybe it works really well.. Would be interesting to hear it.

It does appear that he turned at least two of them.

I agree with you Brent not sure i believe its the best thing for a speaker.

But guys you gotta be impressed by that lathe. Even Larry has to be impressed by a machine like that. Able to hold that weight off balance while being mounted to what is a pretty thin shaft and still rotate it at that speed and put up with the obstacles of the cutters smashing into it.

I hope i get to see one of those lathes somewhere oneday in person. Especially with the covers off. What kind of bearings etc are in this thing?

Ok i had to go looking for them after having this thought check this out you will see a picture of the main bearings.

http://www.bowriverwoods.com/vb-36-Bowl-master-lathe/woodturning-Lathe/VB36

Last edited:
I think it would take some bravery and some skills to work on things of that size, not to mention patience.

I looked at the guys website and he does specialize in very large turnings. Some pretty cool stuff.