Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some Marquetry

Some Marquetry

I'm doing a project right now which will require a number of marquetry panels. Here's one that I thought came out nicely. The field is figured white oak in a half radial pattern (I discovered that oak veneer can be quite difficult to work with). The marquetry woods are holly, cherry, mahogany, bloodwood and dyed woods. The banding is dyed (adobe) veneer and holly and the border is figured white oak. I want to do each panel in a different primary wood and in a different design - which is challenging me. I'll just have to see what I can come up with.

I chose the project to give me some additional experience in doing marquetry. It'll be a while before the whole project is completed.

Mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marquetry-panel-01.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	132.5 KB 
ID:	66792
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Gorgeous that shadowing/shading really makes it pop!

Wow yeah those flowers are fantastic. Did you sand shade them or???

I like the base as well, although having the quarter sawn figure more prominent only in the lower piece of the frame is perhaps a smidge distracting, the top and side pieces really "flow" together very nicely on the grain, the bottom one somewhat less so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Wow yeah those flowers are fantastic. Did you sand shade them or???

I like the base as well, although having the quarter sawn figure more prominent only in the lower piece of the frame is perhaps a smidge distracting, the top and side pieces really "flow" together very nicely on the grain, the bottom one somewhat less so.
    The flowers are sand shaded. Yeah, to get everything to flow together on the border, I would have had to take a piece of long veneer and cut it to flow around the corners - and even then, one corner would not match. But I didn't have a piece of veneer that long after doing the rest of the piece - the back is also done in a radial match which used some of the veneer.

Plus, if I used one piece of veneer to run the border, I'd lose the ability to do another radial match because I wouldn't have enough pieces.

So I chose to do the best with what I had.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Looks great Mike.
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Looks nice. Can't wait to see the completed project.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Excellent. Very nice work. I can't wait to see the completed project.

I agree with everyone else Mike, very nice work.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Well, with all that encouragement, I'll post a picture of one of the other panels. This one is a water lily and is similar to a panel I did earlier. I tried to get more depth in the image with this panel. I also used a darker green which I don't like - the lighter green I used before looks better.

Anyway... the flower is holly, dyed yellow veneer, and dyed gray veneer for the reflection. The flower, its reflection and some of the lily pads are sand shaded. The lily pads are dyed green and the water is dyed black veneer. The border is figured maple.

While I liked this image when I first did it, I'm now concerned that it's like "Elvis on black velvet" - just a high contrast image without any real artistic value.

The picture is not the best - it was taken under less than ideal conditions. I'll try to take a better picture tomorrow.

Mike

Name:	Marquetry-panel-02.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	66793
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 04-14-2012 at 03:34 AM.
    Ancora imparo

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I also used a darker green which I don't like - the lighter green I used before looks better.

Name:	Marquetry-panel-02.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	66793
    I dunno Mike I like this green pretty well in this context, agree the lighter green looks better on the leaves of the other piece but for the lily leaves the darker color looks pretty good to me and goes well with the darker background.

Personally I also prefer the first piece you showed, the use of natural wood colors appeals to my aesthetics but I think you're perhaps being a bit harsh on yourself with the "Elvis on black velvet" comparison This piece has a lot of great depth and texture that put it well into artistic territory in my book.