Shot glass display

Al killian

Hello, I am ready to try and make a display for my shot glasses. The lumber for this project is butternut and the size wil be aroung 15"wx30"hx2" deep. For now anyhow this should hold all of my glasses. Question: What thickness should the case be? I am not sure if 3/4" would look to thick. I am considering makeing a arched top and not sure what the best way would be to make it. For the corner joints I am thinking dovetail. The selfs will also be butternut. The shelfs thickness will be 1/4" or so. I will add a drawing to show the layout I am planning, so it it can help with your ideas. Thanks in advance for your help.
Al
Update: Here are a few ideas I came up with. The first one is a rectangle with flutes. The second one has a arched top which adds a little more to it.
Shotglassdisplay.jpg

I am not sure if this is something that is within my skills, but would not mind trying. If anyone has ideas or changes please feel free to let me know.The shelfs wil be fixed and set into a datto in the back and sides. The back is going to be 1/4" thick butternut. I am not real good at creating stuff. I am much better at building.

Last edited:
Question: What thickness should the case be? I am not sure if 3/4" would look to thick. I am considering making an arched top and not sure what the best way would be to make it. For the corner joints I am thinking dovetail. The shelves will also be butternut. The shelf's thickness will be 1/4" or so. I will add a drawing to show the layout I am planning, so it it can help with your ideas. Thanks in advance for your help.
Al
Hi Al, :wave:
Consider that in most cases only the front, highlighted edge of a 3/4" board is the thickness determiner ( to the eye), once you rout or lessen the very frontal plane of the 3/4" piece it looks thinner. You probably don't need the 3/4" material but it won't hurt to use it, be creative with the profile.:)
Show your plans when you get a chance, sounds like a fun project.
Shaz

Here is one from a different forum. I have talked to the guy that made it and I think something close to this would be what I want. Execpt the bottom would be flat.
dewayne.jpg

For cutting the curved top, should I start with glued up stock then cut it on the band saw or shoould I cut it into thin strips the reglue it to the shape I want? If I go with the second option, shouls it be made in one piece( the arch seperate from the flats) or make the arch then glue it to the flats? In his he used bloodwood. I am not sure what will look good with butternut. Any ideas. If need be I can show a pic of what butternut looks like when finihsed if it would help. Wifes ideas was curlly maple as it is much lighter.
Al