Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Today I almost killed myself...

Today I almost killed myself...

We have seen several of posts of family members being injured when using a TS, a drill press or any other powered tool. Hand tools are dangerous as well but the kind of injuries on can get with them are usually small cuts or bruises.

Well, today I almost killed myself with a carving knife, so I thought I should post how it happened to warn everybody.

Some time ago I ordered this carving knife thinking that it was sharp only on the concave edge of the blade.

I was deceived when I got it because it was sharp on both edges, so I decided to grind off the convex edge to be able to put my index finger on it when carving to exert more pressure.
    Thought and made, that was easy.

The I placed it in my carver's vise to remove the burr and scratches left by the grinding wheel using a strip of emery paper as if I was polisihing a shoe.

The tip of the blade was at he height of my diaphragm, just below my sternum, a comfortable height to do that job.

All of a sudden that chisel on the edge of my bench caught my attention and thinking it was going to fall I leaned forward to catch it without realising that the blade was at 3" from my chest.

Luckyly my brain reacted instinctively and I twisted my chest sideways or I would have dug the blade in my heart, and having it a hook shape I would have ripped off my chest when moving away from it.

Needless to say that I stood still for a minute with cold sweat running on my back.

Today I've learnt two things:
    First: Whatever we do, WE MUST STAY FOCUSED ON IT and do not let anything distract us.
    Second: Never leave the bench cluttered with tools that you are not using at the moment.

O yes we all know those, but how often we forget about them? Today I did, and I almost die. I still shiver when I think about it.
    Best regards,

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Los Angeles, CA
    Nice reminder about safety, even when handling hand tools.

Toni, I am glad you reacted fast and got out of harms way. It could have become an ugly situation.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Central NY State
    Wow. That could have been horrible. I'm with Mohammad, glad your reactions were quick and effective.
    Thanks Toni for sharing this experience.
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Southeast Pa
    Shiver just thinking about it, glad you realized what was about to happen..

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Glad to see this was a reminder and not something worse!

Amherst, New Hampshire
    Great lesson Toni..glad you are OK.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Escondido, CA
    Goodness, Toni! I am so glad you are OK.

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Kansas City, Missouri
    Repeating what others have said, glad you're OK. Don't really want reminders, will heed to warnings myself.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Indianapolis area
    Glad you are ok. It seems we all need a reminder now and then.

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Tellico Plains, Tennessee
    Adding my sentiments to all those stated above...

On the note of your first statement of safety -- stay focused -- I posted on another forum in a thread about the safety devices for the stop saws... while I think the safety devices are a boon to the average joe, they also can make us complacent about our safety procedures and rely too much on the the devices... so to re-emphasize what you said... STAY FOCUSED...
    Tellico Plains, TN
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.