Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Killing yourself in the shop

Killing yourself in the shop

Chilling title to Toni's post, but I didn't want an opportunity to get past us here, so I am starting a new thread.

What do you do, or have in place, that helps you get help if something unthinkable would happen? I am single. I work alone. There is no one to check on me periodically. I will make it a firm habit to WEAR my cell phone in the shop. Thanks, Toni, for the heads up.

Being extra careful goes without saying, but let's be honest, folks. We get tired. We get in a hurry. We take a short cut. You know the drill.

So let's be proactive. I for one would hate to discuss this after the fact, ya know?

Now the point of this post is to share ideas of how you plan to have available the help you just might suddenly need. Sharing of these ideas may just save a family member's life. I think it is worthy of some discussion.

Wonder if there is some sort of life alert button one can wear that would alert a spouse in the house or neighbor? Put your brain caps on and let's see what we can come up with.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

great idea carol. and they do makelife alert buttons maybe that would be the best answer, and have it go to a spouse or close freind but we need to think of two people being on the list to make sure one was there if the other wasnt
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Carol, having a phone close to your body is a good idea. I will try to adopt this rule.

I need to get a first aid kit for the shop as well. Is this any different than a regular first-aid kit?
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Being prepared. Extinguisher by the door (mine is ABC), a first aid kit close by, and knowing your phone and how to either use the emergency button. I think if you can afford the life alert or have an alarm on you shop area with "help" buttons, they are money well spent no matter. My wife has gotten where she checks up pretty regularly. I've added the phone in the shop recently to add another way of getting help if needed too.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Great idea, but on cell phone location. Don't have it in a belt holster, waist area. A kickback could bust your phone when you need it the most.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohammad Madha View Post
    Carol, having a phone close to your body is a good idea. I will try to adopt this rule.

I need to get a first aid kit for the shop as well. Is this any different than a regular first-aid kit?
    I'm not trained in any emergency training besides AED, but a standard kit should suffice. If you're needing a tourniquet or something, I'd think you'd better have 911 called, but it's easy enough to add one to the kit or an eye wash kit and such too....just depends on what you're working with in the shop. I have a mirror on the wall of my office for cleaning out dust from my eyes if needed.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Good idea here Carol. I have a corded and cordless phone in the shop. With our small independent phone company we have an intercom feature where we can signal all phone extensions from any phone. I have a corded and cordless land line in the shop. Cordless to carry with me or keep close to a work station and corded in case of power failure. We keep the land line phone for the enhanced 911 system--it seems more accurate than a cell phone. I have a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit. I kind of consider a small refrigerator a safety device. When I get a little tired, catch myself yawning or get frustrated, I grab a can of pop or a bottle of water and find a stool and think about what I'm doing and whether I should continue or stop and do something entirely different or just head to the house.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Good points, and for most of us it's not just shop incidents we have to worry about. I have a family history of strokes, have had two heart attacks and am a type 1 diabetic. I make it a rule to stop when I am tired, develop low blood sugar,or the light gets low about sunset. However, having a phone outside with me is a really good idea, I've only done when I'm expecting a call. I think Ill make it a habit now.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Tulk
    Good points, and for most of us it's not just shop incidents we have to worry about. I have a family history of strokes, have had two heart attacks and am a type 1 diabetic. I make it a rule to stop when I am tired, develop low blood sugar,or the light gets low about sunset. However, having a phone outside with me is a really good idea, I've only done when I'm expecting a call. I think Ill make it a habit now.
    Now THERE lies the biggest cause for concern. If you suffer a stroke or become altered due to decreasing blood sugar or other impairment how does having a phone near-by help? Problem is there really is no real solution for that other than a loved one knowing when you are supposed to be where.

Being a fireman, if course I have a fire extinguisher handy in the shop.

Bring a medic I have a full med bag in my truck. From Band-aids and a suture kit to IV supplies. Won't do me much good one handed, but it's there.

A little over a year ago I put a 3/8" mortice chisel into my index finger nicking both flexor tendons proximal to the DIP joint. I dermabonded it, had two ER docs look at it and confirm my thoughts... With full extension and flexion intact there was no concern.

Two weeks later, during a training dive (another role of my job - rescue/recovery diver) I grabbed a rope under water and POP, they both snapped. After reconstructive surgery and 4 months of no work and rehab, just to bend my finger again, followed by 2 months of restrictions I've changed my outlook on shop safety. If a HAND TOOL can do THAT, what could the TS or RAS do in a blink. I've run power tool injury calls before but always chalked it up to negligence, now it's become real for me.

The human body is amazingly frail.

Now I'm much more deliberate with all the work I do.

Once again though, if you have a medical condition which could render you unable to seek help, in my opinion, having family / friends who know when and where you should be is one of your best precautions.

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    This thread has got me going forward with a thought that's been playing in my head for some time. I have an alarm system on my shop/garage, it's one of those cheap magnetic interrupter types. It doesn't tie into the PD or a monitoring company, but the few times I've forgotten to disable it before entering, the siren sure brought the neighbors out. My plan is to rig up a foot pedal type activator in one of the open/spare terminals. I've had a heart attack and did manage enough mobility to get across the room while waiting on the Medical rig to arrive. But, when I fed my fingers into the TS, my reactions were to immediately grab the damage with my good hand which would of made it impossible to dial or even open the door for that matter{luckily the wife heard me call for her...and quite possibly the neighbors down at the end of the road heard as well }....How's that boy-scout motto go again? > Be prepared!