How much wood is this

Bill McQueen

I want to buy some veneer I looked on Woodcraft and they had some. here is the description.

Eight square foot packs of genuine wood veneer with exquisite figure ranging in size from 8" to 12" wide by 18" to 22" long. Packages will vary in width and length but all veneers in the same pack will be the same length and width, and sequence matched. Spectacular figure is guaranteed.

It was listed for $65 bucks.

Question: what does this work out to in actual pieces of wood roughly. 5 pieces, 10 etc.? I haven't got a clue. :eek:

Thanks

8 sq ft = 1152 sq in (somebody please check my math)
If they were all 12" x 22" (264 sq in) there would be just over 4 pieces. Odds are the pieces are odd shapes so probably more. BUT, as stated, Woodcraft, Rockler and such stock wood as a convenience item and they are priced/quality-leveled as such. Sites that focus more on materials will have better pricing, selection, quality and information, IMHO.

I'd have to say that Certainly wood have some outstanding woods but are a bit of a pain to deal with. I too find Joes just a bit easier to buy from as well. I like to know the cost of things up front rather than having to get someone to send me a reply via email only to find that I'm looking in the wrong price range. Time I don't like to spend waiting. Seems that they ought to be able to get with the program and list a price with the material.

...Eight square foot packs of genuine wood veneer with exquisite figure ranging in size from 8" to 12" wide by 18" to 22" long. ...Question: what does this work out to in actual pieces of wood roughly. 5 pieces, 10 etc.?...

8" by 18" would be one square foot, so eight pieces.

12" by 22" is 1.83 square feet, so four whole pieces, and one smaller (like an 8 X 18) piece.

Pretty expensive veneer unless it's something pretty spectacular. Other folks have given you some pretty good suggestions for alternate vendors. Personally, I like Joe Woodworker/Veneer Supply.

I buy from B&B Rare Woods (Dave Bilger) and they are very good people to work with. Small shop so they don't always answer the phone if they're with a customer. I also buy from Certainly Wood and have had no problems with them. I've also bought from Joe Woodworker and he's a good person to deal with - fair and responsive. You can also get some veneer from eBay but it's probably not the best place if you're just getting started with veneer. You can get a pig in a poke if you're not careful, but you can also get veneer cheap if you shop carefully.

The veneer from woodworker's source is paper backed. While paper backed veneer has it's place, it's not the best for furniture. You should always use what's called "raw veneer" for furniture.

Mike

[Okay, someone may ask why you shouldn't use paper backed veneer:
1. The "veneer" (the wood) is VERY thin. It's very easy to sand through it.
2. The addition of the paper makes the total veneer too thick so you can't use it adjoining regular raw wood veneer because you can't sand the paper backed veneer down to the level of the raw wood veneer.
3. You can't bring the paper backed veneer out to an edge, even if you use a profile with a fingernail because the paper backing will show. If you do it, the paper will absorb the dye or finish differently than the wood and you'll have an obvious line where the paper is.

Normally, paper backed veneer is used in millwork applications where you use it like plastic laminate (in place of plastic laminate) and glue it down with contact cement.]

Last edited:
Mike beat me to spelling out the objection to paper back veneer.

I use Certainly Wood when I want to buy from a salesman who really knows his stuff... what's the best way to ____ and when, for example, I need a fairly large quantity. The pictures on the web are samples from large supplies - perhaps even hundreds of pieces.

I use Veneer Supplies (Joe Woodworker) when I want to look a the specific pieces on line, not just an example. The detail allows me to choose, for example, a veneer that only will need one joint or will have minimal waste. I know roughly how it will be laid out before I buy.