Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who "tells" on themselves?

Matt Dunlap Guest

Who "tells" on themselves?

Last edited by Matt Dunlap; 04-01-2008 at 03:22 AM.

Matt, I do it all the time and I tell lots of folks. The usuall response is that no one will ever notice.
    Cheers, Frank

When talking with another woodworker, especially a good experienced woodworker, I think it's good to discuss problem areas. I've found that the other person can often offer a suggestion that I would not have thought of. We're all learning and discussing a project or problem is an opportunity to get someone else's view and to learn from that.

When showing a project to someone who doesn't know anything about woodworking I usually do not talk about problem areas because it doesn't go anywhere.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    I usually tell on myself too. What the heck? I'm just human and sometimes the dumb things I do give a friend a good belly laugh and maybe a return tale.
    The way I look at it, in these days and times, if you can give someone a good hearty laugh, even at your own expense, you have given them something priceless.
    However, if the boo, boo is to bad it becomes a Prototype.

DT

Steve Clardy Guest
    Well. I'd rather point out my mistake to another woodworker or friend, other than to have then point it out to me.

That way maybe I, or both of us can learn from my/his mistakes

I pretty much follow Mike Henderson's approach. If it's a woodworker or someone who would understand the problem, I'll spill my guts, especially if I discovered a fix for the problem. To someone who doesn't know what goes into the process, I'll usually just it slide. If it's someone buying something I made, though, I make it a point to let them know about anything I consider to be a flaw or imperfection. Then when they tell me I'm being too picky, and that they love it anyway, I acknowledge them and take their money.

(And anything that's too flawed to sell without a clear conscience is either a surprise gift to a friend or family member, or kept for myself as a lesson.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Yep, I too do what Mike H says, the only thing is, it is usually on the web, as I have so few fellow woodworkers here.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Richard Smith Guest
    I 'tell' my wife and get the same response. But I'm learning to be less of a perfectionist. Haven't you ever seen antique furniture where the unseen areas were of lower quality than the rest of it? I like to do woodcarvings in a rustic, folk style with the knife marks still showing. It shows that the object was hand made. In this industrial age we have all gotten used to perfect, look alike, plastic products.

Guilty as charged
    I tell on myself all the time. Aggravates the LOML. Don't know why I do it. Maybe I just want to be able to say, "I knew that" before someone else points out the flaw.
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt
    Hey Matt,
    Interesting question. I usually 'tell on myself' with other woodworkers - its a chance to learn how to avoid the mistake next time or to learn how to fix it.

One exception though, I attended a little presentation Kelley Mehler did once and this subject came up. He said he told on himself, but not when something was made as a gift. His comment was that the recipient probably would never see a small error and telling him about it just robs him of appreciating the gift.

I'm paraphrasing, he said it much better, but it got me to thinkin...
    Don't believe everything you think!