Who "tells" on themselves?

When talking with another woodworker, especially a good experienced woodworker, I think it's good to discuss problem areas. I've found that the other person can often offer a suggestion that I would not have thought of. We're all learning and discussing a project or problem is an opportunity to get someone else's view and to learn from that.

When showing a project to someone who doesn't know anything about woodworking I usually do not talk about problem areas because it doesn't go anywhere.

Mike

I usually tell on myself too. What the heck? I'm just human and sometimes the dumb things I do give a friend a good belly laugh and maybe a return tale.
The way I look at it, in these days and times, if you can give someone a good hearty laugh, even at your own expense, you have given them something priceless.
However, if the boo, boo is to bad it becomes a Prototype. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

DT

Well. I'd rather point out my mistake to another woodworker or friend, other than to have then point it out to me. :doh:

That way maybe I, or both of us can learn from my/his mistakes:thumb:

I pretty much follow Mike Henderson's approach. If it's a woodworker or someone who would understand the problem, I'll spill my guts, especially if I discovered a fix for the problem. To someone who doesn't know what goes into the process, I'll usually just it slide. If it's someone buying something I made, though, I make it a point to let them know about anything I consider to be a flaw or imperfection. Then when they tell me I'm being too picky, and that they love it anyway, I acknowledge them and take their money. :D

(And anything that's too flawed to sell without a clear conscience is either a surprise gift to a friend or family member, or kept for myself as a lesson.)

I 'tell' my wife and get the same response. But I'm learning to be less of a perfectionist. Haven't you ever seen antique furniture where the unseen areas were of lower quality than the rest of it? I like to do woodcarvings in a rustic, folk style with the knife marks still showing. It shows that the object was hand made. In this industrial age we have all gotten used to perfect, look alike, plastic products.

Guilty as charged:doh:
I tell on myself all the time. Aggravates the LOML. Don't know why I do it. Maybe I just want to be able to say, "I knew that" before someone else points out the flaw.:rolleyes:

Hey Matt,
Interesting question. I usually 'tell on myself' with other woodworkers - its a chance to learn how to avoid the mistake next time or to learn how to fix it.

One exception though, I attended a little presentation Kelley Mehler did once and this subject came up. He said he told on himself, but not when something was made as a gift. His comment was that the recipient probably would never see a small error and telling him about it just robs him of appreciating the gift.

I'm paraphrasing, he said it much better, but it got me to thinkin...:dunno:

No seriously. I usually don't tell on myself. Except to my wife. She always makes me feel better by telling me that I'm the only one that would notice such things. Wives are good that way.:)

I will sometimes mention to others that the project didn't come out exactly how I wanted but I won't point out specifics. That is, unless I feel the person I'm telling can offer me good advice to fix it.

I'm with Rob! All my projects are perfect, it's just with all of the prototypes I build I often never get to the project:rofl:

Seriously, I'm with Steve. I'd rather point out my mistakes before someone points them out to me! I also like being able to discuss the problem with other woodworkers to figure out what I should have done.

No seriously. I usually don't tell on myself. Except to my wife. She always makes me feel better by telling me that I'm the only one that would notice such things. Wives are good that way.:)

Rob, if I tell my wife I screwed up shes does two things first shes laughs then the calls me a dumb a__:eek: But, If you new the ways my mind works as she does you would do the same thing.:thumb:
The only other woowrker I see on a regular base is my lumber guy. We always talk about problems we had and what if anything was done to resovle the issue. Plus he always willing to take a few hours to walk me thru his lumber supply can help me find that special board.
Al

I don't know about the telling but one thing sure, the mistakes for me are the biggest asset to becoming better, more alert, and more aware, next to experienced advice, and :eek: hush,,, don't mention it....
Shaz
Good thread Matt.:)

I had an art teacher in college who said you should sell your successes and hang your mistakes on your own wall to better learn from them. Incidentally, there's a literal example of this over in WC's handtool forum, Jim Shaver's first dovetails (in another dovetailing thread). Well worth the look.

I tell on myself all the time- mostly because I'm used to discussing methods and mistakes with other woodworkers- but it drives Jean crazy when it's just some people who came over to see how the house is coming along. If we ever get to the house warming party, I think she'll duct tape my mouth shut. I hope I at least get a straw :rofl:

Also guilty, I tell my wife cause I think she may spot the flaw anyway. I was just discussing this with a buddy at the turning club meeting. We both do it with wives and good friends who know some about woodworking. But as gifts, or sales, I keep my mouth shut.

Someone once made a comment to me that I should not denegrate my work. It's not meant to be perfect in every way. That's why they call it hand made.

On the other hand, I just visited a gallery in Half-Moon Bay, CA, that specializes in fine woodworking. I was very humbled. I thought I knew something about woodworking until I saw those works on display.
Mike

Julia Child (cook book author) once said not to apoligize for the food, they might not notice!

I think that would depend on the audience.

Pointing out flaws (aka, the human touch :) ) to customers is foolhardy. To other ww's or LOYL it's OK.