Porter Cable router and table question

Ron Jones

This is a Porter Cable router table with a 690 router. Comes with 3 bases: D-handle base, plunge router base, and fixed. It also has 1/4" and 1/2" collets. It also comes with template guide set and a edge guide. Everything here has been used very moderately and is in excellent condition according to the seller. Asking price is $225. If this is in good shape, I'm thinking it's a go. What do you think?

Ron i have a 690 and the 890. The 890 is 2.5 hp and came with two bases.
The 690 is 1.75hp. Both fit in each others bases.

But in my rookie view, the 690 is too light on power for a table.
But it depends on what you intend doing with it.

For $300 you get the 890 series new with two bases. One fixed one plunge. If you build your own table you can mount the fixed base on a plate and have above table height adjustment.
Not the same as say Jessem or Woodpecker lift but it works
Just some alternative input for similar $

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Go find the new prices of each of these items. Here is how I would 'value' that offer. The router is a battleship but it is not variable speed and it is old technology (not that that is a bad thing here). No more than 50% of new. The table is inadequate. It is far better to build one yourself. Part of being a woodworker. No value there. The edge guide is useless, as in almost never used. So value that at 10-15% of new. The template guides can be useful but they are inexpensive enough to wait until you need them, which could be a long time. Again, 1-15% of new. If you have priced the router with the plunge and fixed base, then you will have it at 50% of new. The D-handle base is worth maybe 25%. There is a better do-it-yourself way to go here. Retail this is one very expensive switch. The collets come with the router so additional value here.

As for the condition, I would expect it to be in good shape, as that 690 is one powerhorse, hard to abuse. Now add up your numbers and see how that measures up.

My perspective. I taught routers for years, demonstrated at woodworking shows years ago (about the time the 890 came out), and have written a book on the subject. But you have to decide the validity of the advise you get here.

Carol laid it out very well. I LOVE PC 690 routers and own three of them and am constantly looking for a deal on another one, They are a bit light for use in a router table for stuff like panel raisers. You can get away with it if the router is variable speed and you take light passes, but you really want a heavier duty router in a table. The only things listed that would be bonus to me would be the template guides and the D-handle. I have the plunge base, and I never use it. Edge guides can very easily be made from scrap plywood. Router tables can be very simply built and still be very useful. If you know you'll use all the stuff listed, then it might be a deal for you, but it's not a deal I'd go for because I wouldn't use most of it.

Thank you for a much needed reality check. I knew the table was of little value--thought I might get $40 for it on Craigs list. Same for the edge guide--$5 on Craigs list. I would use the template guides and maybe the D handle. Most likely I wanted to get a dedicated router for my dovetail jig. Then I would only need to find one more to have it semi-permanently set up. Did I actually say semi-permanently? FWIW I did price this out separately on Amazon and it came in $500+. Glad I asked, and I'm thankful you replied. Can't believe I didn't think it through better that that. All of this with Carol's book on the shelf not more than 5 feet from me. Guess I need to review it. Her router table would be a big improvement over this one.