Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dado Depth?,, added new question???

Dado Depth?,, added new question???

Ok this is for research and the comparison of other woodworkers logic.. i have made many dados, and when i first started in this hobby i would use plans given me threw a magazine which told me to do this or that.. but now after a board or two has been ran threw the saw with a dado head installed.. i have had some of my own ideas..

so whats your most used depth of dado and why? for me on 3/4" stock it was always 3/8" deep but now i tend to go with a shallower depth of 1/4", reason being the shear strength is the same i believe in both depths and the shallower depth actually gives a stronger side piece..

now i got a dilema,, i have a side that is 26" wide and 68" long ,, that needs 5 dados the 26" way.. i thought i could use my dado blade but my head wasnt turned on fully.. how do i support it way out in no mans land to make the first dado that is up 12" from the end of the plank????
    Last edited by larry merlau; 04-17-2012 at 11:48 PM.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Larry I always go with 1/2 the thickness. I view the glued joint with the piece in place a replacing the part I took out. JMHO
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I to am of the half the thickness club. Not so much worried about the side strength as I am of the lip or to put it another way how much wood can I get under that shelf.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

I generally go with the 1/4" depth also, it has seemed to be adequate strength for what I do. I have never had an issue with that depth.

Half depth.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I always use 1/2, but when I make a cabinet with one center wall and shelves on both sides, I only go 1/4 inch.
    Human Test Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Larry I always go with 1/2 the thickness. I view the glued joint with the piece in place a replacing the part I took out. JMHO
    Thats how I figure it too.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Half the thickness is to much. On 3/4" material I try to leave 1/2" of material. Makes the math much simpler and with plywood being less than 3/4 thick your dado is less than 1/4".

On 1/2" ply I leave 3/8" of material. Again the math is easier and it gives you more meat to nail/screw the pieces together.

The dado should only be thought of as an alignment aid. I've built many a cabinet in my 30 plus years of wood working without dados that has stood up just fine to daily use.

At work we use dados because for one the cnc cuts them and secondly it makes assembly of the cabinet a no brainer that a trained monkey could do.

On 3/4" stock, I make the dado 1/4" deep. IMO this is esthetically pleasing, and adequately strong.
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    I always use 1/2, but when I make a cabinet with one center wall and shelves on both sides, I only go 1/4 inch.
    What Allen said (other than aesthetic dados which vary).
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke