Bench on a bench

Dennis Ulrich

I started my bench on bench today and have the stock prepped and a pile of shavings. The bench is loosely based on the design in Fine Woodworking's Workbench Issue.

Tomorrow I will start the M&T joints for the base.

Attachments

• image-1047190085.jpg
    image-1047190085.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 79
  • image-725623324.jpg
    image-725623324.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 82
  • image-3665157917.jpg
    image-3665157917.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 76
That's the one!

The jointery will be different. My M&T's will be much deeper and they will be cross dowelled. No bolts, I don't usually do metal in stuff that I build.

Patiently waiting, Dennis... lol what is that, oak?

I guess you changed your mind about the Moxon? Kinda funny given your discussion of it got my wheels turning and despite questioning why you would ever want one I plan to build one now :)

PROGRESS??? :)

Tom Becnel said:
Patiently waiting, Dennis... lol what is that, oak?

I guess you changed your mind about the Moxon? Kinda funny given your discussion of it got my wheels turning and despite questioning why you would ever want one I plan to build one now :)

PROGRESS??? :)

The Moxon goes on the front side of this.

Yeh it's white oak. I bought 300+ Bd Ft of it a couple of years ago for $200.

Yesterday I planed the 2x12 x 7' plank and cut all of the pieces to size. Today, I cut all of the tenons. Tomorrow I will chop the mortices and chamfer edges. When I get all of the parts full prepped, I'll post pre-assembly photos.

I ended up ordering veneer press screws to use for the Moxon vise.

If the upload worked correctly, here is a version that I made some time ago. It is made with plain old fir and I used cheap pipe clamps. If you look closely, you can see that there is a 2x2 clamped in the main workbench vise - it has two 3/4" dowels that extend up into the front of the legs. That's what secures it into position. When stored, that 2x2 is flipped over and stored in the top of the same two dowel holes in the legs. It has proven nice and sturdy and handy.

I've been asked whether or not the clamps stick out too much. I leave them on the front for convenience, but if they get in the way, I reverse the clamps. Also, if I need more than the 4" gap the vise provides, I can use longer pipes for whatever depth I need. Also, I have pulled the clamps out to use elsewhere temporarily. Versatile setup.

Mike Cebula

Attachments

• LittleGuy1.jpg
    LittleGuy1.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Mike Cebula said:
If the upload worked correctly, here is a version that I made some time ago. It is made with plain old fir and I used cheap pipe clamps. If you look closely, you can see that there is a 2x2 clamped in the main workbench vise - it has two 3/4" dowels that extend up into the front of the legs. That's what secures it into position. When stored, that 2x2 is flipped over and stored in the top of the same two dowel holes in the legs. It has proven nice and sturdy and handy.

Mike Cebula

Mike,

That's a nice bench. I'm using dowels and bench dog holes to locate my bench on the bench; but I like your approach.

My internet was down last night, so the picture of all of the jointed parts had to wait. Today, the plan is to assemble the base.

Attachments

• image-2792511629.jpg
    image-2792511629.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 50
Looking good, Dennis. :thumb:

I could see building something along the same lines to attach to the bed of my lathe (Powermatic 3520B) to use as a small workbench and clamp. I've got a 1 1/2" thick piece of melamine-covered particleboard that I set on the bed occasionally to use as a small benchtop, mostly as a flat place to set tools and finishes on. It doesn't even attach to the lathe and I still find it handy. I can see how having something more substantial with a vise (and that can be clamped to the lathe) would be useful.

The unit is basically assembled except for the vise. I'm waiting for the screws; when I get them I can finish this and use it for the next project.

Attachments

• image-27846702.jpg
    image-27846702.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 44
  • image-2407903146.jpg
    image-2407903146.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 42
  • image-2412341723.jpg
    image-2412341723.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 50
Tom Becnel said:
MAN! That looks GREAT! Very nice!

Is that dog holes in the top?

Yeh, I'm thinking that hold fasts will work slick for holding the horizontal piece while the vertical piece is in the Moxon when laying out dovetails. For me, the toughest part of making dovetails has been holding the two pieces solidly and at right angle while marking. The Moxon vise (and modern twin screw vises) and Roubo bench are both examples of the really old guys that earned their living with the tools we play with had it together when it came to work piece holding.

It's finished and ready for the next project.

Attachments

• image-128550997.jpg
    image-128550997.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 35
  • image-1367474346.jpg
    image-1367474346.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 34
  • image-1075870692.jpg
    image-1075870692.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 37
  • image-1802783426.jpg
    image-1802783426.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 40
Tom Becnel said:
Looks great Dennis! I bet that will be one heck o a back saver for dt's! How far out do those veneer screws open up?

The screws are 9" and the jaws are about 2" each. Open, there should be about 5" clear.

I have an old drafting stool that I sit on to do joinery. That made the height of my bench about right. Now I will be able to comfortably stand; but I think the biggest advantage will be in securely holding work pieces when doing layout of dovetails.

Mike Cebula said:

I've been asked whether or not the clamps stick out too much. I leave them on the front for convenience, but if they get in the way, I reverse the clamps. Also, if I need more than the 4" gap the vise provides, I can use longer pipes for whatever depth I need. Also, I have pulled the clamps out to use elsewhere temporarily. Versatile setup.

Mike Cebula

Mike,

You have to tell us about the front vise on your main bench. From what I can see in your picture; it looks really neat and creative.

Basically the same as the little bench. Pipe clamps, usually just two. The front of the vise is a 2X6 notched so it drops over the pipe clamps wherever placed and is the full length of the bench. When you open it up, you have to manually pull the 2X6 back, but that's only because I chose not to screw the clamps to it or to the other side of the bench. That leaves it open for locating the clamps in any of the slots. Can use shorter lengths of 2X6 if necessary. Also, the clamps are available for use elsewhere. The right end of the bench has the same setup. That clamp setup has the clamps screwed to the 2X6 and the far end of the clamp underneath the bench (about 12" in") is screwed in place - more permanent setup.

Mike