About to get a major wood haul: Mid atlantic FWW turners alert

Ned Bulken

My Grandparents were nature lovers... and as such planted or protected lots of trees on their property. There comes a time however, when things need to be thinned out and/or removed. Pics to follow, but there are two, possibly three trees coming down as soon as my folks contact an arborist service. One is a huge maple easily 3' across at the base, another is a younger maple about 16" across (nice tree, just in the Wrong place), and lastly a black walnut that seems to have given up the ghost. I would Never be able to turn all of that on my midi... but I'm going to get a decent amount of wood out of it. They're urban trees, so likely not going to be 'worth' taking to a mill, though my folks will look into that.

I'm having a money crunch, so no chainsaw for me.... Any mid-atlantic turners want to come get some turning stock? I'm loathe to move more than a 'few' pieces when I migrate back up north, but there will be Plenty of logs to go around. Let me know if you want to swing by and get some, and I'll have the crew save an appropriate amount of logs.
I really want as much of the walnut as I can manage to keep, even so there will be lots left over. I'll get some photos up on here later today of what we're looking at.

Ned, if you weren't all the way over on the other side of the continent, I'd be there with chainsaw in hand to help you cut that stuff up. :bang:

Ned, if you weren't all the way over on the other side of the continent, I'd be there with chainsaw in hand to help you cut that stuff up. :bang:

you would have to be a day late vaughn becasue the magnetic pull farther north would be to great:) and if it didnt draw you on the departure, the return trip would be road blocked:)

First tree that is Definitely coming down:

Simply an old Silver Maple which is dying off...

even has a bit of burl...

Next is a volunteer maple... which has grown right On the driveway edge, and is also affecting the basement of the house.

And finally the possible removal...

I Thought that it was dormant... but looks like it is just a few weeks behind the rest of the trees on the property... going to have it looked at by an arborist... if it is healthy, it stays... Darn, I really wanted the walnut... but not going to down it just for turning... only if it was dying.