Router tables

Guy Bratt

I've got some time before I make a decision. I'm looking for input on router tables. What I have now is ancient crapsman stamped tin table.
I'm looking at tops that attach to table saws, both iron and mdf. Are they supported only by the saw table? For those people who have one how do you like it? Would you buy another? My saw is @1953 Craftsman. I don't plan to do a lot of routing but I don't see using the stamped table.
For those who don't have a ts mounted router top, what do you have and why did you choose what you have?

thanks Guy

Tops that only attach to the saw (without a supporting leg assembly or cabinet) can only be so large due to limited support. Will your saw be mobile? If not, accepting that some front support will be required opens up your options.

Attachments

• RT-and-TS-view-2.jpg
    RT-and-TS-view-2.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 89
I have a router table as part of my tablesaw. I used an MDF table I got on sale at Rockler years ago. It's attached to the edge of the cast iron saw table on one edge, and to the fence rails on two other edges. (I have long Incra rails on my saw.)

New Incra Jig Setup 1- 700.jpg

I did end up adding diagonal braces to help support the added weight of the table and router.

Ridgid TS Braces 03 - 800.jpg Ridgid TS Braces 06 - 800.jpg Ridgid TS Braces 05 - 800.jpg Ridgid TS Braces 04 - 800.jpg Ridgid TS Braces 07 - 800.jpg Ridgid TS Braces 08 - 800.jpg Ridgid TS Braces 09 - 800.jpg

Not very effective for dust collection, but it's a decent size and mobile.

FYI - it appears that Jointech currently has what appears to be a decent sale on phenolic tops: http://www.jointech.com/routertops.htm - I've never used them but was looking there for comparative pricing information recently :D

I've also seen folks use Corian if you can get a slab, I think it probably still needs decent under support...

Vaughn, great idea on the adjustable supports. Well done!

i dont have a router table at my TSaw but i do have the phenolic top, and its solid and has done well for me..and at $69 if it were white i would grab one.. thats great price on that size of top with the hole already cut..

Thanks guys. That Jointech site is something else. I really like your support system Vaughn. I'll keep that in mind.
Back in Febuary this year I got the go for a new saw. I almost had a great deal on a used sawstop. But I let him off the hook. Then I decided to keep the old war horse TS and upgrade.
After looking at the Jointech sawtrain systems, I'm leaning more toward a table saw mounted router top.

Router table tops

Thanks Mike I'm a member over there and I've viewed all 61 pages by now. This is almost as bad as being caught in the wodturning vortex. So many projects, so many toys to do them with. :eek:

I like your signature. I was taught 36 years ago that they only package so much smoke in a device and if you let it leak out it willl never work again! :doh:

I've got the rockler router table plate and 690 base. I built the table myself, originally with legs, now attached with the base my TS is on.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums...-Router-Table-Attached&highlight=router+table

Edit: In that 4th pic, you can see the attachment that mounts on my TS fence with a couple of screws. It has a sacrificial plate and dust collection port. I have t-track for it too, but haven't ever gotten it installed.

Last edited:
Hrmph, looks like jointech has gone the way of the dodo (or at least their web site and phone numbers have...). Perhaps thats why the tops were on sale :dunno: I hope if anyone ordered one they got them...

FYI - it appears that Jointech currently has what appears to be a decent sale on phenolic tops: http://www.jointech.com/routertops.htm - I've never used them but was looking there for comparative pricing information recently :D